Embedding more than 1 profile?

Trex

Does anyone know if an image may have more than one ICC profile embedded in it?
If so, how does one do that?

Thanks!

Re: Embedding more than 1 profile?

Not possible As far as I know. What are you looking to accomplish by embedding two profiles in one image?

It is possible to embed the color effects of one profile into another with Colorthink Pro's ColorCast...useful for softproofing n-channel profiles within Photoshop, which doesn't support n-channel profiles (without a plugin).

Edited by: Michael Eddington on Sep 12, 2007 7:53 AM

I am not trying to accomplish anything, actually.

Someone I am working with just claimed that an image could hold more than one embedded profile.
But my experience with color management also tells me that is not the case.

I just am looking for some kind of documented affirmation whether this is true.

Thanks!

Tim

Well, perhaps it is possible for certain file formats to contain more than one profile...from the ICC spec...

"A IC device profile is embedded, in its entirety, as a single TIFF field or
Image File Directory (IFD) entry in the IFD containing the corresponding image
data. An IFD should contain no more than one embedded profile. A TIFF file may
contain more than one image, and so, more than one IFD. Each IFD may have its
own embedded profile. Note, however, that Baseline TIFF readers are not
required to read any IFDs beyond the first one."

So maybe its technically possible, but not for practical purposes from a user perspective. You might want to ask this question at the Colorsync users mailing list and see what kind of response you get.

It is my understanding that only a PDF created through a PDF library (not having been converted to PostScript) can have multiple files. I've never seen any other format support more than one.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back