Can X-Rite i1iO scan in M1 measurement mode?

Werby

Does anyone have any experience reading charts in M1 mode using an i1iO scanning table? Is this even supported? If so, how well does it work? How long does it take to read 1617 patches? Any feedback appreciated!

The table works great, if you have to work with creating measurements more than say once per week, I would get one, it is well worth the investment.

Stephen Marsh

How long do M1 measurements take vs. M0? Can it do M1 in scanning mode or only patch mode? Are there a lot of errors?

How long do M1 measurements take vs. M0? Can it do M1 in scanning mode or only patch mode? Are there a lot of errors?

Werby, when I was using the i1 Pro2 + iO2 table, I was only using M0 (this was at a client’s site when I was onsite performing install and training on a proofing/mockup solution).

I personally still use the original i1iO, usually being driven by Kodak ColorFlow, I don’t use i1 Profiler or ColorPort very often for measurements.

Perhaps others out there can comment?

Stephen Marsh

I called x-rite with the same question, and the response was that scanning mode is not supported currently, but would be in a future update (but don't hold my breath waiting for it). Looking at the measurement dialog in i1Profiler, it looks like it might read in patch mode, which I have heard puts the speed in the realm of the Spectroscan.

Just as an alternate point of view:

Personally, I hate the iO table. Every one I have ever seen, worked with, or tested has been woefully inconsistent/inaccurate. So much so that long, long ago I quit using them, and nowadays I recommend to clients that have the things that they put them on eBay and use the proceeds to buy something useful.

My own personal view is that if you really have a need for automation, then get an Isis, or even better, a Barbieri. And if you aren't in an environment where automation is really necessary, then just use your i1 and read your patches by hand. With a Pro2, that's not really all that much of an inconvenience, and you'll get much, much more consistent and accurate results.

Mike Adams
Correct Color

Last edited:
My own personal view is that if you really have a need for automation, then get an Isis, or even better, a Barbieri.
Correct Color

Thanks, but what I really need is a way to do M1 measurements automatically. We are literally getting sore wrists over here reading these charts by hand! Neither the Isis or Barbieri is capable of M1. Does anyone know of any other chart readers that can use the M1 illuminant?

Just as an alternate point of view:

Personally, I hate the iO table. Every one I have ever seen, worked with, or tested has been woefully inconsistent/inaccurate.
Correct Color

Mike, I have heard this before. I don’t know if I am lucky that my personal experience differs. I have not performed exhaustive testing, however I will rehash a previous post of mine here:

I usually use i1 Profiler for creating RGB profiles, only sometimes for CMYK profiles. I generally use Kodak ColorFlow for my CMYK and CMYK DeviceLink work.

Your remark about the variable nature of measurements the further right and down the arm moves started me thinking. Is this in reference to reading an entire row in a single pass, or patch by patch spot/point reading with the IO table? Is it better to place the chart as close to the upper left as possible, rather than say to the lower left or lower right?

Kodak ColorFlow charts are scattered/random in nature and they must contain a minimum of two pages. There are multiple redundant patches of the same value on each page, with the position of the redundant patches being in "opposite" areas of the form. For example, there are 8 solid primary cyan patches on one page and there are two pages in the test.

I was interested to see how variable the readings were. The readings were performed in a single pass of entire row. The chart was A4/US letter size from an Epson 9800.

Upper Left: L55.4 a-36.8 b-57.5
Mid Left: L54.1 a-36.5 b-57.1
Mid Right: L55.5 a-37.4 b-58.1
Lower Right: L55.5 a-37.5 b-58.2

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
Can X-Rite i1iO scan in M1 measurement mode?

I did a similar test like Stephens. I have attached a PDF with information on test and results. Based on my results, I will not lose any sleep.

-Bill-

Attachments

• ResultsForPrintPlant_Optimized.pdf
    196.2 KB · Views: 240
Stephen and Bill,

As I said, I just wanted to offer an alternate opinion. Stephen I've read enough from you here over the years to know you know what you're doing and then some, and Bill I can see your results are what they are.

Still, and actually it's been several years back now, but what I did was read a set of IT8 7.4 patches twice, then load the two sets of readings into Colorthink Pro and compared them. I'd read some pros and cons on the device and was more curious than anything else.

And the results I got were enough to put me off ever buying or recommending the device.

Also just for grins, I also tried inverting one of the reads and then comparing that to a set of uninverted readings.

And that was enough to make me pretty much refuse to ever use the things.

So I won't argue with what you guys have there.

But that's my experience.

Mike Adams
Correct Color

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back