eye test for pressman

ar17

what are the recommended testing needed to qualify trainees for pressman? we are now trying to pool and hire personnel as future offset operators and we are trying to come up with a training syllabus and at the same time pre-qualification to filter would-be trainees. is colorblindness test a requisite? thanks...

AR King

Re: eye test for pressman

AR,
You definitely want to test for color-blindness. I would suggest the Farnsworth-Munsell 100 Hue Test be administered.
Best regards,
Todd

We just tested all our pressmen with the Farnsworth-Munsell 100 hue test - the good old fashioned test, not the on-line version. But I have a question about the scoring. The instructions say from 20 - 100 is average, and we have a few people who are in there. What is an acceptable average score for a pressman? Or should they all fall into the superior range?

Thanks.
Greta

We just tested all our pressmen with the Farnsworth-Munsell 100 hue test - the good old fashioned test, not the on-line version. But I have a question about the scoring. The instructions say from 20 - 100 is average, and we have a few people who are in there. What is an acceptable average score for a pressman? Or should they all fall into the superior range?

Thanks.
Greta

Not sure "superior" color discrimination is an absolute requirement for a press operator, though it certainly has value. Technical and mechanical ability would certainly trump it IMO, so long as they're not color blind, or score poorly on the FM 100 hue test. Out of 4 pressmen I've tested relatively recently, 3 of them scored perfect (0), while the 4th scored a 32. An average of "8" for all 4 is a bit misleading though, and the 4th operator performs his duties as well as the others.

Incidentally, the results for the online test paired up fairly well to the physical test.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back