GMG and G7

JasonM

We are starting our path to G7 I see the characterization data from idealliance is IT8 7.4. We have the DTP70 and that will not read in that target we use the ECI 2002. Can I just import that data and when making my MX4 just choose the 2002 chart, I am guessing not.
There is also an option for unidentified, not sure if that would work?

Is there a reason why is idealliance using the IT8 not the ECI2002, is it better?

Thanks!

Re: GMG and G7

Herbie,
I read the IT8/7.4 with my DTP70. I believe there is an IT8/7.4 that ships with Colorport. The only problem that I have had is if I want to compare the proof/press data to the GRACol data. I then have to measure the IT8/7.4 with a Spectroscan if I want to compare using GMB's Measure Tool. I haven't been able to edit the IT8/7.4 that is read with the DTP70 that will allow me to do a comparison (tried Measure Tool and Logo Color Lab, but no go.) If GRACol Coated is what you want to emulate then you should import the data set and create your MX4 from the official data set.
Best regards,
Todd

>Can I just import that data and when making my MX4 just choose the 2002 chart, I am guessing not.

You can import the It874 data into an MX4 based off the ECI2002 without issue. You can also iterate that profile using the ECI as well. The IT8 is actually a super-set of the ECI 2002...contains all the patches, plus more. GMG is actually using less patches than even the ECI chart to calculate it's profile.

>then have to measure the IT8/7.4 with a Spectroscan if I want to compare using GMB's Measure Tool. I haven't been able to edit the IT8/7.4 that is read with the DTP70 that will allow me to do a comparison (tried Measure Tool and Logo Color Lab, but no go.)

Measurement data can be re-odered in BabelColor's PatchTool, or with an Excel template. I've got a template that I used for this before I purchased PatchTool. Contact me offlist if interested.

Other option is to use Colorthink Pro with an ICC profile to generate absolute Lab values from a GMB reference file. Lots of ways to workaround this...even though it should be automatic from Xrite to GMB considering the've been under the same roof for some time now. ;)

If you use gmg paper getting G7 is even easier as gmg made all the mx4 for you already.

We are not using GMG paper :(

So if I understand this correctly I take the characterization data and import that to make my MX4. I am guessing I should use visual instead of random as that's how the characterization data is when startig to make my MX4? When importing I can just ignore the prompts telling me that there is more data as the GMG is using a smaller target. Once imported make my MX4 as usual.

> I am guessing I should use visual instead of random as that's how the characterization data is when startig to make my MX4?

This won't make a difference when importing the data.

>When importing I can just ignore the prompts telling me that there is more data as the GMG is using a smaller target. Once imported make my MX4 as usual.

correct.

Another option is to use the actual ICC profile to import your target Lab values (Import ICC). This throws CMYK values through the profile A2B table to render Lab values. Not as accurate as using the characterization data, but negligible differences really ( about 0.21 ave. delta E, max 0.39 differences)

In GMG Colorserver, there is a function called "Preview Axis",
how to use it ,what is its function ? It say from "0,0,0,0" to C M Y K" ,what it mean? Thanks!

>In GMG Colorserver, there is a function called "Preview Axis", how to use it ,what is its function ? It say from "0,0,0,0" to C M Y K" ,what it mean? Thanks!

This is easier to understand after looking at the Preview Values feature first. This allows you to type in a given CMYK value being sent to the Rip, and will display the values after conversion through the profile. The "preview axis" feature displays this graphically from point a (deafault 0,0,0,0) to point b (default 100,100,100,100). Its simply a plotting of the color values within the profile.

Edited by: Michael Eddington on May 16, 2008 11:27 AM

I did not get a PM. I have the MX4 made we are going G7 the 3rd week in June. So all I need to do now is verify; I will probaly wait for this until we have some software. I tried with and excel file but it didn't work.

Thanks!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back