GMG Uncoated Profiles

Howdy,
We are using GMG to color manage an HPZ2100 proofer. Out experience thus far has been excellent with the exception of the profiles we have gotten so far using uncoated stocks.
The resulting proofs are way flat. It seems no matter what I do (outside yanking the black curves in line to get some pop) the resulting proof is the same. Our press sheets always end up having more contrast that I am able to achieve with the proofer.
Has anyone else had this issue?
How do you compensate for the flattening qualities that come with printing on uncoated stocks?

Re: GMG Uncoated Profiles

I have gmg zna Z2100 but I am not using uncoated profiles.

Need more info. what gmg version? colorproof or dotproof? what paper? who made mx4, mx3 etc?

If you're actually using uncoated paper in the HP printer, you may be decreasing the gamut of the output to less than that of the press your trying to simulate. Take a look at the mx4's gamut in the ProfileEditor (Tools->Compare Gamut/Target Values). If your gamut is smaller than the target device, you'll run into difficulties, and a possible solution then would be to change paper. Uncoated data can be simulated on coated inkjet paper...colorimetrically anyway, though with more "gloss".

Another question is what are you using for target data for uncoated, Fogra29 or custom uncoated press data?

Hi Ryan,
GMG 4.1.21, colorproof (not a dotproof), and we made the mx4 data from press sheets.
Thanks for your response.
ML

Hi Michael,
We are using a semi matte GMG paper for both coated and uncoated jobs. In doing so GMG compensates for the uncoated stock by flattening the proof. Its just more than we need. Please understand this is not so much a color issue as a flatness/contrast issue.
I will look into the gamut values you suggested.
The target data was created from press sheets.
Thanks!
ML

Hi Michael,

I thought I would add a couple cents in on this. If you haven't already found your solution to this I have some questions.
Also first off I am using GMG and have had no problems using uncoated stocks (two different ones so far) Semi and Satin GMG-ORIS substrates. I use Epson's however.
It sounds like everything has been OK until you started using the uncoated stocks so in theory your problem has got to be linked to your mx3 calibration settings or printer property settings or as someone else has said already check your target values to make sure nothings going on there that would steer you away from your match.
I would look there first and make sure you are doing everything correctly, use the proper mx3 calibration file for your substrate and use the proper gamut file for the mx3 as well. Check your printer property settings to make sure you choose the best paper type file (semimatte or satin low gloss).

• Are you using the correct printer property settings (paper type)?
• Are you using the correct mx3 calibration file?
• Are you using the proper gamut file for the mx3?
• Are the print contrast problem areas in just the CMYK areas? (Just wanted to make sure that you aren't referring to spot/special colors interacting with process)
• Is this the first time you have used uncoated stock or have you been successful in using it for other mx4 profiles?
• I'm sorry if I didn't pick up on this one but I didn't notice if you had mentioned the stock your using? (It's possible you may need to switch to a better substrate)

Hope this helps.
Thanks,
James

>We are using a semi matte GMG paper for both coated and uncoated jobs.

ok, should have sufficient gamut then.

>In doing so GMG compensates for the uncoated stock by flattening the proof. Its just more than we need.

What's your reported ave. and max delta E toward the press data, and how did the proof look to the original press sheets (assuming you have press sheets to visually compare your proof toward)? Is the press hitting the same targets are during the characterization press run?

Hi Michael,
GMG reseller in the UK here. Let me throw my tupence worth in to the mix. If you are using the correct GMG MX3 for the 250gsm Semi Matte and getting correct results on the Coated MX4's supplied by GMG then the problem is with your MX4 build. Firstly I would make sure that the target values you read in (i.e Press Targets/Patch values) were calculated into the correct gamut file for that media i.e "Not the Full Gamut" but the other one. I would then look at the curves for non linearity and if need adjust using the great smooth target values tool and then re-calculate with target values. Then start your iterative process and do about three of four repeats until peaks are below 2 or 3 and average is below .5 - should easily be acheivable using GMG Semi Matte 250. Also make sure your iO Arm is set to the lowest position.

Good luck,
Simon.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back