Good scanner?

stargate

I am looking to replace my huge and expensive Fuji Celsis 6250 drum scanner with 11 x 17 flatbed scanner as we don't do much scanning anymore. Any picks or recommendations? It needs to have OS X drivers.

No scsi interface, firewire, eSATA or USB (the worst case) connection.

Re: Good scanner?

Mine is an old model I've had it for like 4 years now. 4870 Pro.
The new ones are even better but they don't do 11 x 17.
I really saw no need for one that big as we also have a digital camera for the larger
things we used to scan.

the 11X17 requirement is really going to limit you..think most are designed for 8 1/2 X 14 at this point. We have a microtek Scanmaker which does a decent job (think it's the 9800 model). Microtek was purchased a few years ago so all driver development has stopped. Guessing we will have to go with Silverfast or some other alternative driver at some point.

that's exactly what I have Microtek 9800XL but the lamp burned down and I cannot find a replacement, so I ma looking for a replacement scanner...

Finding appropriate flatbed scanners is a challenge. We had settled on purchasing an Epson 1000XL, though we have not followed through with that purchase. Seems we don't really need a scanner as much as we thought..

Our number one criteria in choosing a flatbed scanner was wether it could scan tabloid sized originals. what drives me crazy is i have to pay for the dual functionality, we really do not need it to scan transparencies because we already have a medium format film scanner in-house. Unfortunately the only other large format flatbed scanner available out there is the Microtek ScanMaker 9800XL, and it turned out to be one of the worst scanners we have ever owned.

We recommend the Epson Expression 10000 XL, I think it will surpass your expectations, check it out on Epsons web site.

Also we might be interested in your 6250.
818-764-9500

Have you looked into Kodak iQSmart Scanners? I know they have replaced a lot of drum scanners.

Ryan, unless you are stuck on a new scanner, you might look to find a Heidelberg Topaz II or Nexscan that uses LinoColor software on an older OS 9.2 Mac. The optics are great, the scans are perfect, the software is strong, and the files can be sent to PC or Mac with Photoshop via .tiff files. The cost of one of these great machines, working well, is amazingly low for the quality you get.

Another great second-hand solution would be Lanovia Quattro from FFEI. It is a 350 x 420 mm device, connects to a Mac G4 and G5 via Firewire, the ColourKit software runs fine on OS X 10.4.11 (as for 10.5 - dunno. I even think someone got it running on Intel Mac but don't quote me on that...)
In the US it is also know it by the name Finescan 5000.

The scanner produces ICC-profiled RGB Tiffs, 8 or 16 bit deep, that can be processed on ColourKit to CMYK through your own press ICC profiles. The same application will also process any and all your digital shots, RGB scans from any third-party scanner and even re-purpose print-ready CMYK Tiffs - all through the same conversion engine, assuring consistent quality from any source.

They were sold in great numbers a couple of years back, so it shouldn't be difficult to locate one for sale.

Hi,

We have recently bought an Epson Perfection V750 Pro (scan size: A4/Letter) and totally switched our Crosfield/FFEI Celsis 6250 drum scanner off. The software package contains a good profiling software (Monaco EZ Color, complete with 5" x 7" reflection and 4" x 5" transmission targets) and a good scanning software (Silverfast AI 6).

This scanner also has an optional fluid mount attachment for scanning heavily scratched tranparencies.

Below are the links for the device and optional fluid mount accessory.

http://www.epson.co.uk/scanners/Epson-Perfection-V750-Photo-Scanner.htm

http://www.epson-store.de/cd/ld/con...er.php/sku/B12B818272?WT.mc_id=typo3_epson_de

http://knoware.epson.com/library/RefMat/Epson_Answers/scanners/EA_fluid_mount.pdf

Refik Telhan
OFSET YAPIMEVi

The V750 Pro was reviewed by Print Week two years ago here in the UK and touted as a possible competitor to the heavyweights:
[http://www.printweek.com/news/652126/Epson-Perfection-V750-Pro/]

They put it down as a "good all-rounder with a film capability that's acceptable for medium-quality print work, digital copier or inkjets" but suggested that "if you can spend more, a combination of an A3 flatbed plus a 35mm film scanner might give you an ideal combination of size and quality."

The fact Print Week reviewed it at all means it must be a pretty good bit of kit. Well under £500 for a scanner with the spec of the V750 is amazing and the quality looks the same, I'm certainly tempted to buy one to replace our departed Tango drum scanner.

Another thorough review here:
[http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/interactive/Epson V750/page_1.htm]

Edited by: Colin Gilham on May 15, 2008 10:30 AM

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back