good monitor for color work?

Re: good monitor for color work?

Bit late on this, but here's my recent experience. Attempted to go under $500; came badly unstuck with a samsung 226BW. Did more research and the more I found out, the more I realised I didn't know about LCD/TFT displays. Believe me, it's a minefield if you are serious about getting it right; particularly for prepress.
The market is basically, mostly, TN panels. Panel technology is critical. I would say steer clear of mass market TN panels for prepress work.
The 2 quality panels technologies are S-PVA and S-IPS, S-IPS being the better of the 2. My guess is these 2 together would comprise less than 10% of the market. S-IPS is deemed to be better. The only "affordable" S-IPS suitable for prepress work, IMO, is the NEC 2090UXi. Google it, have a squizz, do other research. In conjunction with basICColor hardware/software calibration, you have one very creditable monitor. Monitor around $1100. basICColor puck+software about $300, licensed for 3 monitors.
Once you set it up, calibration is virtually a no-brainer. If you wanted to do it weekly it's only about 10 mins while you get a coffee. Pixel pitch is important. The 2090 has a tighter PP than many other LCDs. This is important for viewing type. Not so important for pro photographers, if you catch my drift.
There's contrast ratio, luminance/brightness/colour depth. These are important. "Refresh rate" is less important for prepress work, particularly as all rates have fallen across the board.
Bear in mind the technology changes so quickly, and the price down/performance up pincer is constant. i reckon LCD will be "there" in another 12~18 months.
Random thought. Don't be fooled by Apple's marketing hype. In some areas their quality is slipping, [it's re-badge anyway], under price pressure. Some of their ADs used to have S-PVA panels. I don't know how true this still is. They are opaque about this, and in general about their monitors. Very little disclosure about what's in them. Contrast that with the info. you'll see if you look at the NEC.
Lastly, wikipedia has a great background article on LCD panel technology.

Have a look here. Sometimes you get a result from their search field, sometimes not. Still a great site.

http://www.flatpanels.dk/panels.php

I had used an apple cinema display for 4 years, but now it's going bad (LCD distortion)
I had a few people talk me into the HP LP3065 30" LCD which I've been using now for about ONE hour. I'm not sure if I like it yet.
Anyone else have input on monitors from HP?

I now use the color eye to calibrate my apple monitor,set the target luminaire 170cd.,after the calibrationg,the actual luminaire sometimes is 180cd,sometimes is 165,so the difference is big,but the delta E at 165 is smaller than at 180.So whent the actally luminaire is 180,i change the target 170 to 165,and result is acceptable. What i have done is right or not ,can anyone give me suggestion? Thank you in advance!

BenQ is launching a new 24" hardware calibrated monitor in 2013... $ 999 including hood.
It has IDEAlliance Certification (visit the IDEALLiance web page), and look very good for the money !

John Sweeney

Check out new BenQ PG2401PT - $999 includes hood ! Intro offer - free X-Rite i1 Display Pro. Introduced this week at Print '13.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back