Canon
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sweeneyjohnp
    replied
    Check out new BenQ PG2401PT - $999 includes hood ! Intro offer - free X-Rite i1 Display Pro. Introduced this week at Print '13.

Leave a comment:

• SlaveToTheMan
    replied
    I'd certainly hope that hardware has improved in - 5 1/2 years!!

Leave a comment:

• sweeneyjohnp
    replied
    BenQ is launching a new 24" hardware calibrated monitor in 2013... $ 999 including hood.
    It has IDEAlliance Certification (visit the IDEALLiance web page), and look very good for the money !

John Sweeney

Leave a comment:

• sealleung@leo.com.hk
    replied
    Re: good monitor for color work?

I now use the color eye to calibrate my apple monitor,set the target luminaire 170cd.,after the calibrationg,the actual luminaire sometimes is 180cd,sometimes is 165,so the difference is big,but the delta E at 165 is smaller than at 180.So whent the actally luminaire is 180,i change the target 170 to 165,and result is acceptable. What i have done is right or not ,can anyone give me suggestion? Thank you in advance!

Leave a comment:

• macdudeken
    replied

I had used an apple cinema display for 4 years, but now it's going bad (LCD distortion)
    I had a few people talk me into the HP LP3065 30" LCD which I've been using now for about ONE hour. I'm not sure if I like it yet.
    Anyone else have input on monitors from HP?

Leave a comment:

• frailer
    replied

Bit late on this, but here's my recent experience. Attempted to go under $500; came badly unstuck with a samsung 226BW. Did more research and the more I found out, the more I realised I didn't know about LCD/TFT displays. Believe me, it's a minefield if you are serious about getting it right; particularly for prepress.
    The market is basically, mostly, TN panels. Panel technology is critical. I would say steer clear of mass market TN panels for prepress work.
    The 2 quality panels technologies are S-PVA and S-IPS, S-IPS being the better of the 2. My guess is these 2 together would comprise less than 10% of the market. S-IPS is deemed to be better. The only "affordable" S-IPS suitable for prepress work, IMO, is the NEC 2090UXi. Google it, have a squizz, do other research. In conjunction with basICColor hardware/software calibration, you have one very creditable monitor. Monitor around $1100. basICColor puck+software about $300, licensed for 3 monitors.
    Once you set it up, calibration is virtually a no-brainer. If you wanted to do it weekly it's only about 10 mins while you get a coffee. Pixel pitch is important. The 2090 has a tighter PP than many other LCDs. This is important for viewing type. Not so important for pro photographers, if you catch my drift.
    There's contrast ratio, luminance/brightness/colour depth. These are important. "Refresh rate" is less important for prepress work, particularly as all rates have fallen across the board.
    Bear in mind the technology changes so quickly, and the price down/performance up pincer is constant. i reckon LCD will be "there" in another 12~18 months.
    Random thought. Don't be fooled by Apple's marketing hype. In some areas their quality is slipping, [it's re-badge anyway], under price pressure. Some of their ADs used to have S-PVA panels. I don't know how true this still is. They are opaque about this, and in general about their monitors. Very little disclosure about what's in them. Contrast that with the info. you'll see if you look at the NEC.
    Lastly, wikipedia has a great background article on LCD panel technology.

Have a look here. Sometimes you get a result from their search field, sometimes not. Still a great site.

http://www.flatpanels.dk/panels.php

Leave a comment:

• stargate
    replied

John,

Yes, I like my Dell. I couldn't to get profile it right (way too bright) with Monaco Optix XR (dtp-94) or iMatch using iOne2Display but I was successful with ColorEyes Pro and dtp-94. It's great monitor and it has a good price. I am using it in vertical orientation as most of my pics are portraits.

Ryan

Leave a comment:

• Paul Sherfield
    replied

Hi Dan

Re the Samsung, I will have one on test at a clients later this month, so will let you know the details. Price is around £900, and they say the gamut is larger then Adobe RGB 1998, and includes ALL ISO coated v2 CMYK including solid cyan!!

Regards

Paul Sherfield

Leave a comment:

• jbackus4
    replied

Ryan,

You mentioned you purchased the UltraSharp 2407WFP-HC, have you been happy with the quality for the reasonable price it sells for?

John

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Hi Craig,

Like you I have read about and heard of the Samsung XL20.

I even saw Samsung on a stand at a recent London print show.

The specifications seem quite good.

I too would be interested to hear if anyone has it in production?

Regards,

Dan Wilson,
    G7 Expert,
    Dublin,
    Ireland

Leave a comment:

• kabel
    replied

I have the LaCie 321, and while it is +really+ nice, as mentioned already, it tends to be on the bright side even with calibration (xrite & monaco profiler). I use it now as my second monitor. My primary monitor is an old Mitsubishshi DP2070 CRT, when calibrated properly it provides me with accurate color for my workflow.

Leave a comment:

• rich apollo
    replied

> {quote:title=stargate wrote:}{quote}
    > Rich,
    >
    > What do you use to calibrate your LaCie? (Software/hardware). Do you like 321 better than Apple LCDs?
    >
    > Derek

ColorEyes Display and a SpectroLino. Honestly, I've never worked for extended periods on an Apple LCD, so can't say for certain. I can tell you that I can easily see minute color differences on my 321 that a friend of mine cannot detect on his Apple LCDs - and he's waaaaaaaayyy pickier than I am.

rich

Leave a comment:

• stargate
    replied

iMatch 3.62 is the latest AFAIK. I was able I believe to get down iMac to 149. I am not sure. IMac brightness controls is only disabled if you have a second monitor attached to it and menu bar is on that second monitor.

To tell you the truth I just did the test on iMac if I can get it down to 120 but I would never use it for anything but tools as there is crazy glare. I used to buy G5 towers and MacPros now for not retouching setup I will try 20" iMac with 24" Dell as primary monitor and iMac screen for tools.

Leave a comment:

• disbellj
    replied

Are you sure you were using the latest version of Eye One Match? Is it because the iMac doesn't have the controls on the monitor for brightness that it didn't work?

Don

Leave a comment:

• stargate
    replied

ColorEyesDisplay also was able to get L to 120 on new iMacs. I also found out that Quato sells their software (iColor Display licensed from ICS) separate. Just downloaded and will try today. I like Quato licensing policy better since it's a site license. Never tried Basicolor as it was the most expensive solution. I have good color on new iMacs now but I was not able to achieve this with Monaco Optix Xp or with iMatch with i1D2 or even i1 pro.

Leave a comment:

CanonKBAAvantiSmartsoft (Presswise)DuploEnfocusXerox4Over

Canon Embellishment White Paper

Collapse

Print Embellishment Goes
Straight To The Bottom Line

InfoTrends reported that interviews with more than 100 print customers demonstrated an appetite and willingness to pay premiums of 24% to 89% for special effects, over CMYK-only printing. They also indicated embellishment could apply to a significant portion of their work. Embellishment options can include hot foil stamping, spot gloss UV, embossing, debossing, letterpress, diecut shapes, lamination, duplex, triplex, gold foil, silver foil, copper foil, white foil, black foil, clear foil, etching, and laser cutting techniques. Download The Free White Paper.

CanonSmartsoft (Presswise)AvantiKBAAvantiEnfocusGraph ExpoDuploXeroxChili publish4Over

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4381 users online. 58 members and 4323 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,745 at 04:03 PM on 10-10-2019.

Working...
X