Prepress proofs using ColorBurst?

Colorblind

Hi, we are currently using ColorBurst Overdrive rip to print RGB images to 3 Epson 4880 printers using Epson Standard proofing paper 240 (Gracol) that were each properly profiled with i1Profiler. While the result is great when printing RGB files, when printing CMYK files, images or PDFs, I'm not able to simulate a given printing condition (such as SWOPc3) and get the absolute colorimetric intent to show on the proof. The "relative" numbers seems to apply but the white point stays the same on proof, no paper simulation tint gets printed (I even tried simulating isonewspaper). While this is easily achieved with our Fiery proofing rip, I cannot get it to work with ColorBurst. Am I right to think that maybe ColorBurst is just not designed for that purpose?

Are your workflows in the ColorBurst RIP RGB or CMYK? If you want a proper proofing workflow that simulates a Reference Printing Condition such as GRACoL or SWOP, you should set up a CMYK workflow in ColorBurst and set the simulation profile to GRACoL or SWOP. Setting the rendering intent to absolute will then simulate the paper tint.

To set up CMYK workflows, you need to linearize and profile your 4880's in CMYK. I'm wondering if you don't have the license to profile in ColorBurst, since your profiles were made in i1p.

Thanks for your answer Nathan. From what I understand from ColorBurst documentation, output profiles need to be RGB and need to be made using third parties profiling softwares.
Screen Shot 2016-12-15 at 09.07.13.png

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back