Beware of X-rite Closed Loop Option, they will leave you stranded...

Aaron25

I just want to share a story with you all because if blows my mind that a company in this industry doesn't care to lose a customer...

2 months ago after receiving the scanner head back from X-rite after re-certification I asked their support team to dial into the machine to check some settings. At this point the X-rite software and the feedback program that send the data back to the press were both working fine. He was just checking on the settings in the X-rite program.

While dialed in he noticed we are on an older version of Intellitrax so he uninstalled the version that was on there and went to install a newer version. The newer version wouldn't install correctly so he went to re-install the older version again and the older, original version, wouldn't load back on. So now the computer that runs the scanner software AND the feedback integration to the press is a boat anchor. Naturally one would think the person that broken it should fix it, right? WRONG...

So at this point I have no scanner software and therefore no closed loop, spending more to run jobs and X-rite doesn't care. During the next 3 weeks and many emails back and forth with X-rite they tell me they are not responsible for used presses and any software connect to it. WHAT??? They broke it!! So now I have to come out of my pocket to have my press dealer send a technician to troubleshoot a problem that X-rite caused. Incredible.

So I just wanted to warn anyone out there that if you are looking at a X-rite closed loop system be warned. They don't stand behind their work. They don't care about you. It's just another one of these large corporations that don't care about the one person.

Haha. They can't brick it anymore than it already is! You know it's not that they broke it. I understand that accidents happens. Heck the tech that dialed in a was a great guy! It's that they don't stand behind their work. So that's like me replacing a bad starter on your car and then the starter falls out of your car and I tell you, "sorry I didn't sell you your car so it's not my fault it fell out of it".

Last edited:
We have 3 older 40" Intellitrax scanners ourselves and we are not too eager to deal directly with XRite either. We found these guys in Canada and sent them a Scanner that had basically been robbed for parts, they did a great job of repairing it and sent it back looking and working like new. We will be sending them our other scanners over the next few months. Not sure if this info helps you as not sure of your location. Could work out for a good deal for you if you are in the States with the US exchange rate.
Here' the link

http://www.caltec.ca/newsletter/caltec-x-rite’s-canadian-authorized-service-depot

Thanks for the link Cornishpastrythighs. I will consider these guy for repairs. Unfortunately it's not the X-Rite system that's F'd. It's the press feedback program that is non operational now. I went ahead and grabbed a new PC and loaded the Intellitrax program on that so I can at least scan. But I don't have a closed loop because the feedback to the press is broken and X-rite won't step up and help repair it since they broke the PC that the feedback program was working on.

I had no idea X-rite had a history of customer dissatisfaction. Good to know because we are needing a new system on another press so won't be looking at X-rite. I do like the guys at Techkon.

Granted, I've only had to use once or twice, but I've had no problem with them and they helped me resolve the issue at hand.

Are they not a for-profit business that tries to get companies to register with them for a fee? What does paying that fee get you in the end as a company, a chance to erase some bad reviews?

We recently had a review from someone that didn't exist, and used words that only someone in our industry would ever hear, so we have pretty good reason to suspect that it is a competitor. Has anyone had luck using the BBB if a Yelp review is illegitimate?

They may very well be a shady operation now. It's been 15+ years since I filed a complaint with them.

pd

Last edited:
I believe they (X-Rite) have Twitter and Facebook. Maybe vent you're problem with them there, you will generally get someone that will help you. Companies don't like it when their dirty laundry goes on social media.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back