Epson Stylus Pro 4900 calibrate

Urox

I don't know this is the right place.

I have a question about the calibration of our Epson Stylus Pro 4900. We use Colorproof 5.7.
Calibrate manually with iOne Pro 2.

It is very difficult to get the Proofer on a Delta E max of 3. I have invest 2 hours for it.
The nozzles I spill before.

Is there a better or faster method?

Thanks

What are your average and max dE for the calibration? And how many iterations did you do?

A max dE below 3 for a calibration is not required. You can choose to accept the calibration without meeting the 3 dE tolerance. Do so, print a proof, and see if it verifies.

Depending on the measurement device used for calibration, I don't always get a max dE below 3 when recalibrating, but we still return passed proofs, especially with iterated MX4s.

Two hours might be not enough. We've struggled for two days, just to realize the idealistic deltaEs you see here and there are not real world data. If your proofs are 'PASSED' with a comfortable margin of error, you're good to go.

Better and faster would be to buy the spectroproofer attachment. We have them on our Epson 7900 and 9900 proofers, and regularly get below 3 Max dE.

Bret

Hi
NathanD
Normally I have a delta 4 after two measurements. I got a delta 3 after the sixth iteration. This is not acceptable for me. It costs too much time.
That's right. I can accept the calibration at any time. The calibration works, but I would like a dE Max 3. It can be clearly seen when a human skin tone with a dE 3 or dE 4 printed.
Puch Really two days?
Bret Hesler We also thought about that. With the spectroproofer attachment we get guaranteed a dE 3?

Thanks for all the answers

Last edited:
There's no guarantee for anything in this business. There are too many variable factors from site to site. Epson & GMG do their best to ensure a safe margin of error, yet they work (I presume) in a controlled environment. Now, your office might be a bit warmer and less humid than the lab was, then you may try to achieve a given deltaE, but will never succeed. Did you shake the inks before the procedure? They say it's extremely important as the inks can separate to the solution part and the pigment part, without considerable agitation.

The spectroproofer is a nice option for automatically performing a quick certification, but due to the large sample size, they use way too large charts. Measuring them is also very time consuming. Also, the ILS-20 in the old Spectroproofer is said to be a bit inferior in accuracy and repeatabiity. The new ILS-30 might be better, though.

Last edited:
I do not get 3dE on the stock GMG calibrations, but do on the custom calibrations I have created. I agree that the charts take time to read, and the accuracy might not be the best, but unattended calibration is time I can spend doing other things, and it will be more repeatable than manual readings with an Eye-one.

Bret

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back