Tricks to remember LAB color space

Well... i had the same problem. This is how i remember it....

L is easy. That's lightness.

​​​​​​a is for apples, which are red and green

b is for blue and also for bananas which are yellow

But i also printed out a few charts and keep them where i can see them.

I also have the excellent 'color math' app on my phone (Android)

Hope that helps

Does anyone have any good tricks to remember the LAB color space model? I keep forgetting the info!

L = Lightness, lower values are darker, higher values are lighter (just like in RGB)

a = opposing hue system: red in the positive values (warm), green in the negative values (cool), zero is neutral – neither red or green (a hue can’t be both red and green at the same time). The higher the value, the more saturated the hue.

b = opposing hue system: yellow in the positive values (warm), blue in the negative values (cool), zero is neutral – neither yellow or blue (a hue can’t be both yellow and blue at the same time). The higher the value, the more saturated the hue.

Stephen Marsh

Attachments

• lab.JPG
    lab.JPG
    15.4 KB · Views: 216
Just don't get pMS. It is debilitating. And that's the way dem Jersey guys have evolved and profited.

Not good for the average Layman. Time to hit the pillow and rest me head from this sphere of distorted colour and jumbled ineptitude.

Call 201-935-5500 for complete clarification.

Tell 'em a Layman sent ya.

No, D Ink Man.

Well... i had the same problem. This is how i remember it....

L is easy. That's lightness.

​​​​​​a is for apples, which are red and green

b is for blue and also for bananas which are yellow

But i also printed out a few charts and keep them where i can see them.

I also have the excellent 'color math' app on my phone (Android)

Hope that helps

This helps, thank you!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back