Convert image to print USO Uncoated Yellowish simulation on coated stock

SsorcerererR

Hi there!

Fot a customer, we want to simulate how an image would look if printed on uncoated yellowish paper. We print this on coated stock.
We use the ISO Uncoated Yellowish ICC profile for this but also want to simulate the paper color and "flatness" of the print on the yellowish paper.

On screen I can simulate this with using the proof colors > custom feature with the option "simulate paper color" on.
But I want to save this color information and save it again as an image with our standard ISO Coated v2 ICC profile.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-09-06 at 07.41.52.png
    Screen Shot 2017-09-06 at 07.41.52.png
    634.5 KB · Views: 245
If I understand correctly, you will need to convert the CMYK image tagged with the Uncoated Yellowish ICC to ISO Coated ICC using absolute colorimetric rendering intent (if this is “too strongly yellow”, then you should knock together an action to combine the steps used to create the less yellow version).

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
We need to convert the source RGB image to CMYK, simulating the uncoated yellowish print, printed on normal white coated stock.
When printed (offset) it should look like the picture in the screenshot. (with the simulate paper color feature on)

Attached is the source RGB image.

Attachments

• RGB.jpg
    RGB.jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 233
As Stephen implies, if you want to simulate the result of printing on the yellowish stock you need to convert the RGB image to the profile of that printing condition first. You can then print that profile using the Absolute Colorimetric Rendering Intent to the designated output device (printer) as long as you have an accurate profile of that device to target and the colour space of that device has a larger gamut than the source profile. This is the essence of proofing.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back