How to print better than a specification?

i feel this is the right thread for this, i apologize if its not.

i am in flexo and i am looking for answers as they relate to flexo. i am used to only measuring SID and TVI. this typically works well for most images. ive only seen problems in trying to print grays. ive been seeing that Lab should also be measured and controlled for CMYK but have yet to make that a normal part of the process.

im very familiar with FIRST and have only looked a little into G7, ISO 12647 and GMI. prior to searching for G7 topics on this forum i was feeling like G7 should be something we need to prepare for as i figured it would give a good base that could be applied for GMI or other customer specified requirements. now i dont know if that is right or if it is possible to do so.

i see that G7 is not liked very much on these boards but i dont see what is proposed as an alternative.

if you are opening a new flexo shop and have the money to hire the right people and buy the right equipment is there a standard that would be implemented in order to be able to market yourself to most customers? what elements should be measured on a job to make sure the process is under control and that colors will match proofs?

these are the things i think should be measured and would love if you guys could add or let me know if any of these are overkill
Substrate Lab
CMYK and Spot Solid Density and Lab
CMYK and Screened Spot midtone TVI
RGB overprints Lab
Grayscale patches?

if you have a characterization for your press and you have a signed contract proof based on this characterization would the above not be enough for proper color management? is there one standard that requires all the above and anything that i am missing? we currently dont have patches in our jobs to measure RGB or grayscale but i am thinking we should add them.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back