RGB to CMYK conversion in Pitstop

pajdzn

I get a lot of RGB images from clients and have noticed that Photoshop seems to do the best job of converting them but that means opening each image one at a time, is there a global way in Pitstop to implement the conversion that Photoshop uses?

Left at its defaults, Pitstop's color conversions are not great, but if you set them up right you can get the same results as Photoshop. Screenshot attached shows my settings. Yours may vary depending on what space you want to convert to, but this gives you a good place to start.

colorsettings.png

Research Actions and Droplets in Photoshop - You ought to be able to automate the conversion in Photoshop.

Tell me which RGB profile and CMYK profile, you are using. I can help you to create a DeviceLink Profile that will convert color space from RGB space to CMYK space. Then you can use Global Change Function in Pitstop for converting all RGB images.

If the job is color critical conversion should be done in photoshop so to check it and most probably make adjustments.
I'm sorry to say that even ''premium'' clients only care for low cost and quick ( quick like deliver tomorrow morning ) service, so converting in photoshop is something i rarely do - if not at all - these days

I would really look into Photoshop Actions, they are really easy to setup. Then you can run them from within Photoshop or make them into a "droplet". If you are using Indesign, there is a plugin called "LinkOptimizer" that could also do it for you without even leaving Indesign. What it does is open each link up in Photoshop and does the conversion per your specs. It will also resize images, so that everything within Indesign is then placed at 100% if you would like. Every once in a while it messes up a file that has been placed with a rotation. Which is why you should always double check any automation. But much easier than doing it manually.

http://zevrix.com/linkoptimizer.php

We have thousands of people using PitStop for RGB>CMYK conversions, and we've also done a lot of improvements to our color support in general.

Give it a try and if you have issues you can always drop me a PM.

I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I should have probably mentioned that the files are pdfs, we rarely get native files any more, I have to open each image in Photoshop, convert and save back to the pdf. While this works it takes a bit of time when there are a lot of images to convert

well, I've run the files through several different methods of conversion, Pitstop, Prinergy, etc. and they came out different. But when I opened each image in Photoshop and converted they stayed the same.

You're going to need to give a bit more detail I'm afraid, can you upload anything or share any preference settings/configurations?

well, I've run the files through several different methods of conversion, Pitstop, Prinergy, etc. and they came out different. But when I opened each image in Photoshop and converted they stayed the same.

How they came out different? In final printout or on the display? How can you know that your image converted by Photoshop stayed the same? You check the number or visually or printout?

You just need to set your Color Management settings to match your Photoshop settings. Whether you do this in PitStop or at the RIP is a matter of personal preference. If it were me, I'd set it at the RIP so you don't even have to think about it. I've done it both ways and I get identical results to doing it in Photoshop.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back