Uncoated color proof

Dario

How do you manage color proofs when you are going to print your job on uncoated paper? Have you go a specific custom ICC profile? Something else?
Thanks!

I have used Gracol's uncoated profile, and a custom profile, both with success. The proof is output on a matte inkjet stock to simulate the surface of the uncoated paper.

Bret

How do you manage color proofs when you are going to print your job on uncoated paper? Have you go a specific custom ICC profile? Something else?
Thanks!

Uncoated Paper is not uncoated paper: The question is, how close is the distance between the white point of the printing substrat and the white point in a used profile for color management. Next point is the method of measuring (M0 or M1 / without or with UV-Cut to respect optical brightners/OBAs).

PSO_Uncoated_ISO12647_eci.icc (Characterisation Data set FOGRA47) has a white point LAB 95 / 0 / -2 and is made by measuring with M0, it works good with printing substrats without OBAs, but there are very few uncoated papers without OBAs, e.g. DesignOffset.

PSOuncoated_v3_FOGRA52.icc (Characterisation Data set FOGRA52) has a white point LAB 93 / 3 / -10 and is made by measuring with method M1 to respect more the OBAs in most of the papers. Here it could be a problem that the information from the paper suppliers may be mesuared with M0, if there any...

GRACoL2013UNC_CRPC3.icc has a white point LAB 95 / 1 / -4 (Method ? - i do not know)

A distance lower/equal Deltae E 3 between printing substrat and profil-whitepoint should match a well or very well result in practise.

Is there a high budget for a big run periodical production it might be helpfull to create an own special profile. (Then think about the measuring method/OBA-problem)

EDIT: the proofing substrat must fit of course: with or whithout OBAs and white point...
I work with FOGRA47 / M0 and Epson Archival matte paper for production with DesignOffset-Paper-Production satisfying.

Last edited:
I stock Semi Gloss and Matt papers for proofing with custom profiles for each. Is Matt paper an option for you?
​​

Simulating a proof with a custom uncoated profile would produce the best results for color if you do not have a proofing stock that carries a similar white point to your uncoated stock.

However, it really depends if:
1. You are able to move away from a standard proofing profile and,
2. Whether you are able to efficiently create a custom profile based on the uncoated printing condition.

If you want to create a custom profile efficiently I can provide some suggestions.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back