Standard Finishing
4Over

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

gmg ChannelExtender

Collapse
CanonKonica Minolta
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • gmg ChannelExtender

    https://www.gmgcolor.com/products/colorplugin/

    Does anyone use this or something similar?

    What if you need to repurpose something from CMYK (or RGB) to some-mixed-spot-colors?

  • #2
    Originally posted by darioluca View Post
    https://www.gmgcolor.com/products/colorplugin/

    Does anyone use this or something similar?

    What if you need to repurpose something from CMYK (or RGB) to some-mixed-spot-colors?
    That looks very cool. Worth downloading the trial version.
    If you're asking about other plug-ins to do extended color separations, the only similar one that I know of is Touch7 (http://www.touch7.co/)
    I don't know the cost for the GMG plug-in though so that makes comparisons difficult.
    Of course if you only have a few images to do you could always create the EG separations in Photoshop.

    Comment


    • #3
      It's not possible to trial the software if there is no connection to GMG OpenColor!
      But it's super for what I can see!

      https://gmgcolor.com/fileadmin/user_...gin_QSG_en.pdf

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aykTeU5Jt0I
      Last edited by darioluca; 05-02-2018, 08:44 AM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by darioluca View Post
        It's not possible to trial the software if there is no connection to GMG OpenColor!
        But it's super for what I can see!

        https://gmgcolor.com/fileadmin/user_...gin_QSG_en.pdf

        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aykTeU5Jt0I
        Thanks for the links.

        If I'm understanding this correctly - the plug-in is to swap parts of a CMYK image with a spot color but not to create a "hi-fi" or extended gamut image. Also, the user has to manually define which areas of the image the 4/C is substituted by a spot color ink.

        That's not what an application like Touch 7 does, nor what I would do if I wanted to create a "hi-fi" or extended gamut (5, 6, or 7C) image. The manual masking in PhotoShop in order to use this plug-in can take a long time depending on the complexity of the original image. For Touch 7 as well as doing a manual extended gamut image, the selection of out of 4/C gamut areas is automatic - no manual masking needed.

        Comment


        • #5
          Hmm! Looks waaaaay oversaturated for my taste. At least in those pictures.

          Comment


          • #6
            For what I've seen - without GMG OpenColor server - one cool thing is the ability to delete one or more CMYK channel trying to keep the color appearance. Subjectively useful, it works well.
            On the other hand, I think it'd capable to convert a RGB/CMYK image to some custom-color-mix; useful if you can't use standard CMYK inks but you must print photos.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by gordo View Post

              That looks very cool. Worth downloading the trial version.
              If you're asking about other plug-ins to do extended color separations, the only similar one that I know of is Touch7 (http://www.touch7.co/)
              I don't know the cost for the GMG plug-in though so that makes comparisons difficult.
              Of course if you only have a few images to do you could always create the EG separations in Photoshop.
              Does the Touch7 Photo ECG works only with CMYK+orange/green/violet ?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by darioluca View Post

                Does the Touch7 Photo ECG works only with CMYK+orange/green/violet ?
                Touch 7 adds 1, 2, or 3 additional channels to the final cmyk image by isolating out of gamut areas. Although the hue of the extra channels is preset, you can change the hue of the additional channels by editing them in PShop if you prefer different hues.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I did some tests and it seems to do a nice work removing CMYK channels on some kind of images (see CMYK sample: test.jpg.zip )
                  I'm gonna print something by sheet-fed offset to check the actual outcome.
                  I sent a request to GMG asking how I can test a trial without a trial color server, but they just forwarded it to a local seller who came to me just trying to sell products
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by darioluca; 05-15-2018, 05:27 AM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I found this too: https://www.graphicrepublik.com/en-G...xpro/maxcolor/

                    Comment

                    4OverStandard FinishingDuploSmartsoft (Presswise)CanonKBAUltimate
                    4OverStandard FinishingDuploCanonKBAKBAChili publish4 PeesSmartsoft (Presswise)

                    What's Going On

                    Collapse

                    There are currently 3310 users online. 63 members and 3247 guests.

                    Most users ever online was 6,597 at 10:25 AM on 04-20-2018.

                    Working...
                    X