Which rendering intent

I need to produce a printed color chart. I have the colors in a spreadsheet, defined as LAB coordinates (D50). As opposed to starting with photos or scans of the originals.

My first step is to figure out which of the colors are printable in CMYK. I plan to use the Gamut Tool in PatchTool, which performs a "clip check". It will give me a report that includes a dE for each set of LAB coordinates, using my chosen profile (in this case, GRACoL2013 Coated) and chosen color difference formula. Which rendering intent is appropriate for this task? Most of the discussion of intents naturally revolves around what works best for photographs. This case seems unique. Is it one of the rare instances where absolute is the right choice?

If you are using a substrate with a white point that matches GRACoL2013 I would agree that absolute would be the best option. If your white point is 2 DeltaE or more from 95 1 -4 it may not work.

Edit: I should add that how you intend to use all this is important also. If this is the extent of the project that is one thing but if you plan to then drop in these values into production work you need to consider how you plan to run the actual job.

Last edited:
Thanks. I have been struggling with that point as well. It seems to me that to use absolute for this first step of the project and then to switch to some other intent for color management of the actual files might be counterproductive. Am I right about that? I realize that might mean that I then have problems with color shifts in photographs. The work-around I have in mind is more rounds of proofing than usual, so that I can check and re-check how the photos are turning out.

And, if you’re that critical of the color “match” then what do you do about the viewing conditions which can affect the appearance of the color? Not to mention the OBA content of the substrate you’re printing on.

I simply have to find the approach that is going to work best, without being paralyzed by my inability to achieve perfection.

Correct, if you do this test with certain color management and then go to production and expect the same results you will need to follow the same procedures and use the same settings.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back