Collapse
CanonKonica Minolta
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unable to achieve a flats seamless grey with CMYK

I have a print job with grey color that needs to be even and patch less. I tried to print that using C 10 M 11 Y 10 K 25 after referring the CMYK Pantone guide and got that printed using 175 LPI. But that did not work . I dont see a seamless even grey and it shows patches (Pic Attached but might not give a complete idea) . My Printer then printed the same paper using another job with K 30 alone. While it was still not that great as I expect my grey to be but atleast better than the former one. I Cannot use pantone grey for this one as the budget of the project does not permit me. What should I do ?
    cmyk dots k 30 dots CMYK Grey Output

Offset? Flexo? Or? Why don’t the microphotos have color?

Comment

gordo - Sorry , I forgot to mention. It is offset printed and the substrate is Art Paper. I took the micro photograph by placing my phone over a 25X Microscope . This is what I could get from my phone.

Comment

Originally posted by manishbjain View Post
        gordo - Sorry , I forgot to mention. It is offset printed and the substrate is Art Paper. I took the micro photograph by placing my phone over a 25X Microscope . This is what I could get from my phone.
        The reason I asked is because the dots are black and grey. But if they're color...
        1 - Does the paper have a texture? The grey area looks like it has striations which could be caused by a paper texture.
        2 - If the paper has no texture then the striations could be on the printing plates. That can be caused by a laser problem when the plates were exposed.
        3 - If you're referring to the shift in color in the grey that can be caused by many press factors.
        4 - Your CMYK recipe C 10 M 11 Y 10 K 25 uses too much of the chromatic colors. That can affect color stability. Try a recipe like C 0 M 5 Y 2 K 47 - it should give you the same final color but with greater press stability as it minimizes use of the chromatic colors.
        Last edited by gordo; 10-04-2018, 12:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gordo View Post

The reason I asked is because the dots are black and grey. But if they're color...
          1 - Does the paper have a texture? The grey area looks like it has striations which could be caused by a paper texture.
          2 - If the paper has no texture then the striations could be on the printing plates. That can be caused by a laser problem when the plates were exposed.
          3 - If you're referring to the shift in color in the grey that can be caused by many press factors.
          4 - Your CMYK recipe C 10 M 11 Y 10 K 25 uses too much of the chromatic colors. That can affect color stability. Try a recipe like C 0 M 5 Y 2 K 47 - it should give you the same final color but with greater press stability as it minimizes use of the chromatic colors.
          No , The Paper doesnt have any texture. I do not actually understand what you mean by the shift in the color change . The thing is I am not getting a flat seamless colour that looks even through out. However, Let me try and check if the recipe you have recommended works.

Comment

Originally posted by manishbjain View Post

No , The Paper doesnt have any texture. I do not actually understand what you mean by the shift in the color change . The thing is I am not getting a flat seamless colour that looks even through out. However, Let me try and check if the recipe you have recommended works.
            Check point #2 since there’s no paper texture.
            The grey patch in the pic you posted has a color shift from top to bottom so I thought that might be the issue. If point #2 is the issue then the different cmyk recipe won’t help.

Comment

Originally posted by gordo View Post

Check point #2 since there’s no paper texture.
              The grey patch in the pic you posted has a color shift from top to bottom so I thought that might be the issue. If point #2 is the issue then the different cmyk recipe won’t help.
              No I do not think the striations is the problem. Its basically the unevenness in the color that I am talking about.I do not know how to convey that in the exact terms. I want an even color patch like what we usually get using a 100 percent screen of any color , say a pantone or any process color. If you could see the cmyk microphoto, the dots are smudged unlike the dots in the single color K. Could that be a reason for that ?

Comment

Another thought-
                compare several sheets, notice any ‘doubling’ or distortion of any of the dots?
                i had a similar problem with a 2-color screen job - it was dot shape - changing the tonality.

Comment

Originally posted by danremaley View Post
                  Another thought-
                  compare several sheets, notice any ‘doubling’ or distortion of any of the dots?
                  i had a similar problem with a 2-color screen job - it was dot shape - changing the tonality.
                  Thankyou danremaley - Let me check that too.

Comment

I'm not a pressman but my pressman uses to say printing a seamless large area of halftoned color is way difficult so he always asks me to convert it to a spot color one.
                    So I can assume is a press matter.

Comment

4OverStandard FinishingDuploSmartsoft (Presswise)CanonKBAUltimate
                    4OverStandard FinishingDuploCanonKBAKBAChili publish4 PeesSmartsoft (Presswise)

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5458 users online. 98 members and 5360 guests.

Most users ever online was 6,597 at 10:25 AM on 04-20-2018.

Working...
                    X