Creating a custom proofing profile for Uncoated stock

Jbarrie5

Hi Guys,
I've been having trouble creating a custom proofing profile for uncoated paper. I am using an Epson P9000, reading with a X-rite i1io Pro 2. The paper is GMG matte 140, and my Color management system is the GMG OpenColor/ColorProof. After reading the charts from our press run, the resulting proof profile, created a proof that was pretty far off the target. I have to modify the profile using the curves and adjust all colors to basically, "Eyeball" the proof to the press sheet. The stock that is printing the charts is the backside of a coated SBS sheet and is much more fibrous and blotchy than the proofing material... perhaps that's the problem, but I would think the proof would be closer than it is. Does anybody have any idea what I might be doing wrong or, any tricks they would like to share with this process?
's the problem

In my point of view, you need:
- Ensure that the offset machine is in good condition (no doubling, no slurring, no color variation, no streak marks), enough printing pressure, no scumming or smearing. The ink density should be in tolerance through horizontal and vertical direction....
- OBA as Gordo's advice
- Light condition should be same when you compare proof and offset sample, and in measuring condition

We always deal with various factors could impact to color. One of factors varies then you can not manage the color.
Regards,
DeltaE

To add onto what Gordo and DeltaE have said there is also questions about how is the profile being made in GMG. What charts are used? What settings? What measurement mode? …

Hi Guys,
I've been having trouble creating a custom proofing profile for uncoated paper. I am using an Epson P9000, reading with a X-rite i1io Pro 2. The paper is GMG matte 140, and my Color management system is the GMG OpenColor/ColorProof. After reading the charts from our press run, the resulting proof profile, created a proof that was pretty far off the target.
It is normal. Now you have to iterate your profile in profile editor. It is pretty well described in "CreateMX4.pdf". Step by step. Just follow it. Worked for me many times.
Chris

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back