Color Management with HP Indigo 7900

On our HP Indigo 7900 we sometimes we have inconsistency of color. For instance, if we get a repeat order, the prints may not match the prints from the last run. I am told from coworkers who have worked in bigger shops that we need a color management system. I have no experience with this and don't know where to look or who helps with that sort of thing. Can anyone direct me on where to get started? I tried asking HP but didn't get concrete answers.

From what you are describing, you have a press color repeatability problem, not a color management one.
A color management system relies on stability and repeatability of the printing press. Meaning, if your press is not behaving in a consistent manner - or more importantly, cannot be calibrated to behave that way - then a color management system will not solve your problem.
How often do you run full color calibration?

The press operators tell me they do the color calibration daily. The morning press operator is particularly diligent about doing all maintenance tasks at the beginning of her shift.

Hi Rachel !

Michael From PressWise here - hey, is your Indigo in a room where the humidity is stable ? Shifts in humidity can make the Indigo color shift around. Just a thought. Also, while Calibration is key to keep the press in one place, color management can get that press into the BEST place.

I am sure there are color management experts in Houston who know their way around an Xrite i1iO or come in with an Xrite i1iSis 2.

But if you cant find someone , i like Jim and Shelby -

https://colorcasters.com/about/ [h=5][/h]

We have an indigo 12000. We use Alwan Print verifier on every job.There is small colour bar we it on every job.The operator used the Xrite i1iO to scan and adjusts the 50% dot on the press. As long as the 50% is good we run. Once the scan is complete we save a sheet and save the report on the desktop in its specific customer folder. We reference this report on all reprints. We are can match colour today tomorrow or next year. It is also good be cause we stay in the G7 space so we can match our the litho presses.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back