Digital cmyk build vs litho label spot

ckirk9229

Client wants digital print (CMYK) to match a Litho label (spot color), or to be close enough to where consumer wont be able to tell the difference. I have tried telling them that there is no way to match a CMYK build to a Pantone Spot color, but they keep insisting for me to get as close as I can,

i am kind of at a loss for words in this situation,

what is going to be the easiest way for me top build the CMYK swatch to get as close to that litho label spot color?

any thoughts on this would be most appreciated, this has been a thorn in my side for 2 weeks now and Im beating my head against a wall with it

What's the spot color? Pantone? Do you have a Lab value for it? Do you have a profile of your digital printer?

If your digital press has a Fiery controller or similar, you can go in and edit the spot colors to match very closely. You will need a Pantone book for comparison. In Command Workstation, go into Device Center>Resources>Spot Color. Then locate the pantone book (Coated or Uncoated), then double click on the color, then click Print. This will print out a series of about 21 patches. You can then select the one that most closely matches the Patone book, and Apply/Save. The trick is to make sure your spot color name in your file is listed EXACTLY the same as it is in the Fiery controller. This will get it as close as possible. Before you reprint the document, make sure you right click on it and select "Remove Raster" so it will reprocess with the new setting.

If you're not sure it's actually changing, you can force a dramatic change by manually entering in 100% for black then doing a test print to make sure it's actually being acknowledged. If it doesn't, then you either don't have the spot color named the same, or you need to check the "Spot Color matching" box under Color in the print properties.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back