Pantone Color of the Year-2020: PANTONE 19-4052 Classic Blue

prwhite

Administrator
Staff member
Pantone & X-Rite have announced their Color of the Year—2020: PANTONE 19-4052, Classic Blue, “A restful color, Classic Blue brings a sense of peace and tranquility to the human spirit, offering refuge”.

For 21 years, Pantone’s Color of the Year has influenced product development and purchasing decisions in multiple industries, including fashion, home furnishings, industrial design, product packaging and graphic design. The Color of the Year-2020 was taken from Pantone’s Fashion, Home + Interiors Color System. Tapping into sight, sound, smell, taste and texture, Classic Blue is their first multi-sensory Color of the Year.

Pantone has also partnered with Adobe Stock to offer a handpicked Color of the Year collection to inspire creators. With millions of visual assets, including: still photography, design templates, 3D and motion graphics, Adobe Stock is a valuable resource. See the Adobe Stock/ Pantone Classic Blue gallery.

Pantone will also release limited-edition collection of the Year-2020 Formula Guides. Available at Pantone’s website.
  • Pantone Color of the Year 2020 Fashion, Home + Interiors Color Guide: SRP $210,
  • Pantone Color of the Year 2020 Formula Guide (Coated & Uncoated): SRP $179.
For more information visit www.pantone.com/color-of-the-year-2020

Ah, PANTONE 19-4052, Classic Blue. I thought this was interesting.
Note especially the "Please Note"
Search for Pantone the color and you find this:
PANTONE 19-4052-tcx "TCX" refers to fashion and interiors (cotton)

RGB
29 78 137

HEX/HTML
1D4E89

CMYK
CMYK values not available

Please note that RGB & Hex/HTML values will differ between the PANTONE Color Finder and the PANTONE Color Bridge Guides due to different standards for print and digital use. For the PANTONE Color Bridge Guides we use the M1 lighting standard to align with industry standards for process printing. For the PANTONE Color Finder we use the M2 lighting standard to align with commonly used design software like Adobe Photoshop.

But in the formula guides they give CMYK values:

CMYK
C 100%, M 76%, Y 25%, K 0%

With the caveat: "*CMYK values are approximate and were established under specific criteria [note described]. To be used as a starting point only. When reproducing these colors in CMYK, please have the printer adjust them visually on the specific substrate and within your printing parameters so that the best possible simulation to the color is achieved." But in the fashion section they say the lighting used is D65.

And sRGB values (not just "RGB") which are quite different:
sR 15, sG 76, sB 129

Clear? LOL

Gordo, I take it you were unable to "Tap into sight, sound, smell, taste and texture ......... or the inner-peace and tranquility of the human spirit" then!

Gordo, I take it you were unable to "Tap into sight, sound, smell, taste and texture ......... or the inner-peace and tranquility of the human spirit" then!

I did try. But I couldn't get the blue color correct - so it didn't have an affect on me. :-(

Color correction.jpg

Clear as mud!

...as if getting graphic designers to use the spot colors properly isn't hard enough.
Wonder when we'll get a layout with PMS Black C gradating to the "color of the year"!!!

I can already hear how" it doesn't look the same as in Photoshop for iPad."

I don't know about a mixing formula, but I do know that Pantone Color Manager can export a CGATS file of all the L*a*b* numbers for all the colors in the fashion TCX deck. The L*a*b* number should be the most accurate measurement, under the available D50 or D65 illumination choices.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back