Using GMG for printing RGB images

geotzo

Hello everyone,
I m using GMG system for proofs on an Epson 4800, but as a photographer I'm also trying to use it for printing and selling my personal work (i.e. portraits, landscapes etc). Has anyone else used this combination for the same purpose? I'm very happy with the results, but I would like you to tell me briefly your work flow into the program in order to achieve best results. All I do at the moment is enabling 3D mode, using Adobe RGB profile for simulation and the same printer/paper profile as the one I use for ordinary CMYK proofs. The results are very close to my monitor, but I not sure I do this right... Also do have any idea of the archival quality gmg papers have? I really like the semimatte 250, but I m not sure how long will that last (oops sold some already), not to mention how difficult it would be to create a new paper's profile.
Thanks

George

Re: Using GMG for printing RGB images

>All I do at the moment is enabling 3D mode, using Adobe RGB profile for simulation and the same printer/paper profile as the one I use for ordinary CMYK proofs.

So, you're choosing AdobeRGB for your Input color space, and the gamut file of your printer for the CMYK Output profile, is that right? In this set up, you would be sending images tagged with AdobeRGB to the Rip. Other than choosing different gamut mapping options, there's not much else to do with creating a photoproof profile..its not an iterative process as it is with traditional CMYK mx4s.

Though I've played around with photoproof profiling, we generally stick with CMYK proofing. We're not photographers here anyway, and although the photoproof option allows you to get the full gamut of the printer, its generally not far off from a good CMYK colorspace like Gracol2006_Coated1 or ISO profiles.

>Also do have any idea of the archival quality gmg papers have? I really like the semimatte 250, but I m not sure how long will that last

I don't think there's been any longetivity tests on GMG paper. Check out the http://www.wilhelm-research.com/index.html for Ultrachrome K3 inks and Epson x800 series printers and see how it rates for different paper types. I think its safe to say that Ultrachrome K3 inks as stable for a good many years.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back