What combination of plain paper-profile should I use for proofs?

geotzo

Hi everyone,
I try to find a good combination of plain paper (say 80-120gsm) and profile, in order to satisfy a client's need for proofs on plain white paper materials. I use Epson 4800 with gmg software. I have checked with gmg but the don't provide any plain material, apart from the newspaper tinted rolls. One friend suggested I should make profiles and proofs on the actual sheetfed material trimmed to feet my 4800, which sounds a bit risky for causing trouble to the print head, so I think I should avoid it. Any ideas of the process I m getting into? What settings should I use for this?
Many thanks,
George

Re: What combination of plain paper-profile should I use for proofs?

>I try to find a good combination of plain paper (say 80-120gsm) and profile, in order to satisfy a client's need for proofs on plain white paper materials. I use Epson 4800 with gmg software. I have checked with gmg but the don't provide any plain material, apart from the newspaper tinted rolls.

If you use an inkjet paper that is brighter than the actual press paper used in print production, you can use GMG to simulate that paper shade. The paper shade can be manipulated in your GMG profile via the Color Value Correction tool in the Profile Editor. If your proof paper is not as bright as the paper used in print production, than you might consider changing paper.

>One friend suggested I should make profiles and proofs on the actual sheetfed material trimmed to feet my 4800

Paper created for sheetfed isn't formulated for inkjet proofing, and the results will likely be poor. However, there is an option to coat actual press stock for inkjet printing. www.twproof.com offers this service. I've tried it here and the results were as advertised.

Re: What combination of plain paper-profile should I use for proofs?

Agree. twproof papers although limited in number work as promised and you can add simulate any tint in gmg as you wish. GMG even prints tint under information lines, so when you crop it nobody can see without a loupe that you have ink simulation on whiter paper.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back