DeviceN and NChannel

Gregg

Can someone point me in the right direction to learn more about DeviceN. I have heard it come up often in color management discussion, but I no little to nothing about it.

Re: DeviceN and NChannel

For starters

Go to www.color.org/icc_specs2.xalter and download Specification
ICC.1:2004-10 -Image technology colour management ? Architecture, profile
format, and data structure

Look up n-component profiles etc.

Also go to Adobe web site and download the PDF 1.6 spec and look up
DeviceN color space

David Q. McDowell
Standards Consultant
51 Parkwood Lane
Penfield, NY 14526
Tel: 585-383-1706, Cel: 585-281-8429
E-mails: [email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

PrintPlanet <[email protected]>
10/25/2007 08:54 AM

To
David McDowell <[email protected]>
cc

Subject
[Color Management] DeviceN and NChannel [1SvzmK-mS-1f2]

A new message was posted in the Color Management forum. The message was
posted in the thread - DeviceN and NChannel by Gregg

The content of the message is below

In simplest terms, DeviceN is used for spot color output. In Quark, if you need to output Spot colors in composite form (such as PDF), and are not sending separations to a rip, you would use DeviceN to make sure the resulting PDF has the Spot colors in it. For Adobe programs, this is done behind the scenes without you having to choose DeviceN. In Adobe, just go to Ink Manager and choose what you want output, and Spot colors spec'd as Spot in Ink Manager will come out as Spot.

Don

You're welcome Gregg. I hope I didn't sound like I was overriding David's reply, because it surely was a great reply. I just thought you maybe wanted the short version to get the gist of it without maybe going into all the details. If you want further details from the simple explanation, David's post is where you would need to look.

Don

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back