What is Unsupported Color Space?

paulc

Trying to export a photoshop image from a PDF and I get message " Could not complete your request because a color was specified using an unsupported color space". What is this, and is there any way to alter the file so I can export and edit in Photoshop?

Try just rasterizing the whole page in photoshop and then crop out the piece you need. Photoshop will RIP almost any PDF.

Trying to export a photoshop image from a PDF and I get message " Could not complete your request because a color was specified using an unsupported color space". What is this, and is there any way to alter the file so I can export and edit in Photoshop?

It means exactly what it says - that the image is in a colorspace that is not supported by Photoshop. For example, it might be a duotone described as DeviceN.

Wouldn't it be easier to go back to the original image and fix it there??

Wouldn't it be easier to go back to the original image and fix it there??

I think the whole reason we use the TouchUp tool is because we can't get our hands on the original. My question is, why wouldn't a color space be supported by Photoshop or what prevents it from being supported?

I've run into this rather frustrating situation before as well. I've had plain RGB and CMYK images (not tagged or anything) in a PDF that would not open in Photoshop because of the unsupported color space error.

Just to understand when you say export you are referring to Tools>Advanced Editing>
or overall export all images?
What version of Acrobat are you using?

Work around - using the touch up object tool select the image. Then right click and select 'properties'. Under the color tab you can convert the color space, many options there and I've found most ARE supported by Photoshop. Then you can open the image in Photoshop without problems.

My question is, why wouldn't a color space be supported by Photoshop or what prevents it from being supported?

Because PDF supports 11 different ways to describe colors and Photoshop only supports a subset of those. Hence the reason that you can get this message.

I've run into this rather frustrating situation before as well. I've had plain RGB and CMYK images (not tagged or anything) in a PDF that would not open in Photoshop because of the unsupported color space error.

Then they aren't what you think they are...

If you (or anyone) comes across a file where you have an image in a simple colorspace that is generating this error - please send it to me (or post it here).

I submitted the request to the Photoshop development group to have Photoshop handle all of the PDF color descriptions.

Most of the time I run into this with images that are "Indexed on CMYK" or grayscale images that are described as "indexed". There is the Ncolor/DeviceN thing, too.

Last edited:
I've gotten the error message with a duotone monotone image in a PDF.

I've had to use what Rob Robinson stated, sometimes that works, sometimes not.

I've gotten the error message with a duotone monotone image in a PDF.

That was going to be my next question to Leonard. I've received that same error with a monotone image in a pdf. In this case, why wouldn't Photoshop be able to recognize/open a file with this color space?

That was going to be my next question to Leonard. I've received that same error with a monotone image in a pdf. In this case, why wouldn't Photoshop be able to recognize/open a file with this color space?

I think that these are not monotone images from Photoshop, but probably made in the page layout app, like Quark or Indesign, that's why PS doesn't recognize it.

I have seen this in Quark originated PDFs where there is some sort of a box in front of the actual photo you are trying to edit. Whenever I see the unsupported color space message in Photoshop, I first jump back to Acrobat, delete the still highlighted box and, most of the time, the photo is still there. The blank, unsupported color space box is now one, so I can then select the actual photo and it opens right up in Photoshop.

If the photo disappears when I delete, then I undo the delete and change color modes. Then you can edit the photo in Photoshop.

CMYK mode can convert to Index mode

CMYK mode can convert to Index mode

If you (or anyone) comes across a file where you have an image in a simple colorspace that is generating this error - please send it to me (or post it here).

I know I have brought this up before as well - As you say -- while you may THINK you have something that should open in Photoshop, becuase you personally place image saved out from Photoshop inside InDesign, but when you save as PDF (Export or Distill) depending on the image, that imaghe can be converted into an INDEXED MODE CMYK file...

There are several somewhat common Photoshop image color spaces that when converted to PDF make them incompatible with Photoshop - here is a PDF file that has a few (not all) examples of that...

ftp://Scans:[email protected]/indexed/multi_bit_all_in_one_target_pdfx.pdf

Hope that helps (probably doesn't !)

I guess it is just one of these 'good to know' things...

I am having this problem trying to touch up a scanned B&W image from a Xerox Freeflow scanner to PDF. I am getting this message when I click edit. No matter what setting I get it wont open in photoshop. is there some way I can get this to work> I am using acrobat 9 pro and CS4 on windows XP.

Thanks

this is my first post so go easy on me

Last edited:
I think the whole reason we use the TouchUp tool is because we can't get our hands on the original. My question is, why wouldn't a color space be supported by Photoshop or what prevents it from being supported?

It's called another wonderful Adobe BUG!

I am having this problem trying to touch up a scanned B&W image from a Xerox Freeflow scanner to PDF. I am getting this message when I click edit. No matter what setting I get it wont open in photoshop. is there some way I can get this to work> I am using acrobat 9 pro and CS4 on windows XP.

Thanks

this is my first post so go easy on me

Just try and open the entire PDF in Photoshop itself.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back