NEC vs. Eizo vs. Apple

dub

Well it is time to replace our aging 23" Cinema displays and was wondering if anyone uses any of the NEC spectra View monitors and what their opinion was of them.

I am pretty much down to the NEC Display MultiSync LCD2690W2-BK-SV LCD Monitor and the new Eizo ColorEdge CG243W.

On the way outside of things possibly the new Apple LED Cinema display which my co-worker is going to be bringing in and we are going to calibrate it and check the glossy screen / reflection of it to see if it is bearable.

Any opinions are welcome.

thanks,
Dub

My next screen will be the NEC LCD2180WG-LED with the Spectraview Calibration option(ordering after 1/2010.) I am currently using an Eizo ColorEdge CG21 that has about 10,000 hours of use on it. The Eizo is a great screen, but the NEC has a larger gamut and the $1300.00(US) pricetag is attractive. I want to see if the LED backlighting lives up to the hype. It seems like just yesterday we were shelling out $6000 for a 17" Radius Pressview CRT, times have changed!
Best regards,
Todd

Hi Dub,

We have just ordered 7 units of NEC Multisync (22") because of its large gamut and it only costs about $1200/unit.

Regards.

Larry P. Sison
Ugra Certified Expert
Dammam, Saudi Arabia

Last edited:
If you are working in a prepress or printing environment, I am not sure what the point is of an extended gamut on your monitor. Sure, sRGB can't quite get the saturated cyans and yellows, but for the most part on a well calibrated monitor (I use an Eizo CG211), it covers all the CMYK print gamuts quite well. I get excellent print to screen matching. So what good is a monitor that can do 100% Adobe RGB or whatever if I am just going to dumb it down to match CMYK gamuts?

I can totally understand if you are a photographer or artist and are creating inkjets, which have a huge gamut, but if you are going to traditional offset I don't see the point. Even web-based work has to be dumbed-down to sRGB.

-Todd Shirley

If you are working in a prepress or printing environment, I am not sure what the point is of an extended gamut on your monitor.....

It's nice to be able to hit a lot of the spot colors, but we always use a swatch book for those anyway.

I am using the ColorEdge CE240W ($1600) and it works great. I like how the display LUTs are built into the ColorEdge's. The NEC looks like an interesting product as well.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back