Anyone using Pantone GOE?

Pantone was pushing this new system pretty hard for a while, but last I knew most printers were avoiding dealing with it for as long as they could. We've encountered our first job that uses the color in the file, although the job is spec'ed to print CMYK. Adding to my frustration with this order, is the fact that Pantone's GOE libraries include coated, uncoated, and coated bridge...but no uncoated bridge (and of course it's an uncoated job).

Anyway, I was just curious as to the current attitudes about the system.

Bill Coale
Prepress Manager/Production Designer

I don't have an answer to your question Bill, but I hope nobody is using it.

For some reason Pantone thinks that we printers have all kinds of room to store inks. They tout the GOE system as using less mixing inks that PMS.....what do they think?....that everyone is just going to abandon PMS??? We're still going to have to keep all of our current inks and then the GOE inks too? Not to mention the hundreds of dollars in swatch books we'll have to buy.

Just how many colors does this industry need?

Sorry for the rant. Thanks and have a nice day. :)

I haven't seen it used here and no one is asking about it anymore.
Just another money making scheme that is failing.

Bought the book when it first came out. Have not heard of anybody even mentioning it.

Interesting. I have already included a GOE color in my quote requests.

I think you may see more customers asking for GOE colors as time goes on, from the crowd of those who, like me, have never worked with the pre-GOE system before coming into the field and so have no habits to overcome. And customer is always right.

Leo

Last edited:
Interesting. I have already included a GOE color in my quote requests.
I think you may see more customers asking for GOE colors as time goes on, from the crowd of those who, like me, have never worked with the pre-GOE system before coming into the field and so have no habits to overcome. And customer is always right.
Leo

To be clear, the pre-GOE system is not a "habit to overcome" because Pantone has not replaced their previous spot color system with GOE. GOE is an addition not a replacement.

If Pantone had replaced their old system with GOE, I'm sure that printers and ink suppliers would be the first to embrace and recommend it to their customers.

best, gordon p

Last edited:
To be clear, the pre-GOE system is not a "habit to overcome" because Pantone has not replaced their previous spot color system with GOE. GOE is an addition not a replacement.

True enough. But, in the perception of people like me, this fits the usual model of phasing out an older system while retaining backward compatibility for a while. And if both provide comparable functionality, the most natural conclusion is to go for the new system. Now, this may be wrong in this particular case, but I just wanted to give you an account of how I personally came to specify a GOE color (coated and unconverted), and so may the others.

Leo

True enough. But, in the perception of people like me, this fits the usual model of phasing out an older system while retaining backward compatibility for a while. And if both provide comparable functionality, the most natural conclusion is to go for the new system. Now, this may be wrong in this particular case, but I just wanted to give you an account of how I personally came to specify a GOE color (coated and unconverted), and so may the others.
Leo

Fair enough. When GOE was first announced that is what many industry people thought, hoped for, and asked for - drop the old system and replace it with the new - but Pantone decided not to do that.

The result, for many printers and their ink suppliers is that they have to support two different base ink sets - the 14 old ones (plus transparent white) and the 4 new ones (6 base colors are common between the two). That increases both inventory and costs with little if any perceived benefit to the supplier.

Pantone also changed the paper for their swatchbooks:
GoevsOrigUV.jpg

adding more optical brightners (GOE on left PMS on right viewed under black light) which further complicates matters.

best, gordon p

We heard customers talk about GOE a lot when it was first introduced, but still haven't seen it specified in a job. PMS is so ingrained now, that I can't imagine it will ever go away, which makes it awfully difficult for GOE to gain much traction.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back