color settings edit in photoshop

Re: color settings edit in photoshop

> {quote:title=meddington wrote:}{quote}

>The technically correct way to softproof would be to go to View/Proof Set Up/ Custom and select "Simulate Black Ink" with your SNAP profile, which simulates a relative colorimetric rendering without BPC for the display

Ok, that makes sense. Just so I understand exactly what to do. Choose view»proof setup»custom»simulate the SNAP profile and check Simulate Black Ink and maybe Simulate Paper Color, but should Preserve CMYK numbers be checked? If it should not, then should black point compensation be checked (the one in proof setup not the one in convert to profile)? Finally, rendering intent should be relative colorimetric, right?

I lied when I said Finally. I have another question. Since the printer is not using the same icc, should I choose embed profile or leave it unchecked?

Dan R.

>but should Preserve CMYK numbers be checked?

The only time you'd want "Preserve CMYK Numbers" selected is when your selecting a diffrent CMYK profile for the Device to Simulate than that tagged to your image and want to see how the image will look with no conversion. So no need to check that in this scenario. If you're viewing a CMYK image tagged with the same profile your selecting in the Device to simulate, it doesn' matter if you select "preserve CMYK Numbers" or any of the rendering intent options, as this would be a null conversion (source and desitnation are identical). Its when the source profile and the Device to Simulate are different that the rendering intent comes into play.

So...

For CMYK images tagged with SNAP
Device to Simulate:SNAP
Presevre CMYK: n/a, doesn't matter
Rendering Intent: n/a
BPC: n/a
Display Options: Simulate Black Ink or Paper Color

For an RGB Image:
Device to Simulate: SNAP
Preserve CMYK: n/a
Rendering Intent: Relative Colorimetric
BPC: ON
Display Options: Simulate Black Ink or Paper Color

For CMYK images tagged with a different profile than SNAP, you can either preview the Device to Simulate as SNAP with Preserve CMYK (no conversion) and Simulate Black Ink/Paper Color, or choose a rendering intent to preview a conversion. BPC on or off in the latter scenario depends on the source profiles black point.

Isn't this easy? :)

>Since the printer is not using the same icc, should I choose embed profile or leave it unchecked?

By default, I would embed the profile so that others can view the image as intended (presuming they go through the ProofSetup thingy correctly), but that opens up a scenario wherin a inadvertant conversion could take place at the printers end. Best to talk to the printer and see if they prefer the profile embedded in the images or not, to which you'll undoubtably get a reply of "what?".

Do you know of any other icc profiles available that are for newsprint? SNAP is good, but the Simulate Black Ink is not exactly right. The shadows look gray and they should look black. Thank you for all your help,

Dan R.

That's what I thought Michael. Just thought you were saying something different than this.

Don

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back