Collapse
Canon
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Agfa Azura Plates

We are getting ready to demo a couple sets of the Azura plates from Agfa. We have been running the Fuji LHPI/LHPJ plates for a few years now (and been very happy), but the pricing Agfa has approached us with is hard to ignore.

The plates will be imaged and gummed offsite, we will just mount and run.

I am looking for any suggestions I can give the pressman from people that are running these plates. Any tips to pass on?

thanks!

Re: Agfa Azura Plates

Well...

Make sure the plates hang around in the open pressroom
    for a few days (because they can; just like typical jobs).

Don't be surprised by the edge-to-edge image consistency.

And, you might find that you'll be able to back off on the water a bit.

With over 2,000 users of this (Thermofuse) technology, you won't be alone!

(smile)

Regards,

Steve Musselman
    (Agfa Graphics)
    Steve Musselman, Agfa Graphics - USA,
    Senior Corporate Account Executive

Comment

Cory,

I am in the same boat. Have the same equipment and workflow as you do (except gmg instead of CGS). Tell me about your experience with Agfa plates as I am using Fuji LHPJ also.

Derek

Comment

Cory:

We did nothing in the pressroom, literally nothing. Same fountain solution, same deletion pens, same plate cleaner. Everything was the same as when we ran our conventional fuji's and to date 2.5 years later we still have not changed a thing!

Comment

we ran a sample set provided to us by Agfa. Hung them in the middle of the day between runs. Pulled off about 1000 sheets on coated stock. No different that the conventional plates we currently run. As I look for platesetters one of the criteria has been that it will image Azura plates.

EPP Manager • Brass City Printery
          OSX 10.4.10 • RAMpage 9.4 • EFI Colorproof XF
          Avantra 30 • Epson 7600
          Matthew "LAMMY" Lamoureux
          918 Printery - Ad artem artium conservatricem conservandam

Comment

Thanks for the info Steve,

Our new Accento gets installed on Monday and our pressmen can't wait for the swap to Azura metal plates (currently using CTP polyester plates) and while we have tested a set I'm just hoping it all goes well... the choice pretty much came down to me so hopefully everything goes smoothly!! Otherwise I fear a rebellion against the prepress department looming...

Cheers, Tony

Comment

cory

while we didnt buy ctp / plates (lack of funding - so stuck with film) the azura was top of the list for me (would have got a screen platerite 8600 for 12 ish azura plates per hour at slower speed)

we trialled some plates with a color critical job, very fine screens, biggest sheet size we can print on as well (it was a job we run anually, so we could compare previous colour standards as well)

asked press to give me real-world feedback

it was:

"if i didnt know it was an azura ctp plate i probably wouldnt have been able to tell - except no spotting out."

the run was short and hitting colour was simple. running up was easy - basically there was no change. he was a very happy minder - which is kinda rare! the plate was made just over 2 weeks before we managed to get it on press as well - absolutely no issues whatsoever.

the only issues from my point of view are speed and cost of plate

Comment

Lammy,

what CTP are you using with Auzra and rampage?

Comment

Beer...

If your only concern is speed...
                  then take a fresh look (soon).

Steve.
                  Steve Musselman, Agfa Graphics - USA,
                  Senior Corporate Account Executive

Comment

> {quote:title=stargate wrote:}{quote}
                    > Lammy,
                    >
                    > what CTP are you using with Auzra and rampage?

I'm not unfortunately. Just to expensive for the shop I'm in. I keep my eye on Creo Trendsetters though. Gotta be the 40W variety though. We were looking at the newest Agfa Platesetter. I'd give it serious consideration if it weren't for the price tag of new stuff. It was however cheaper then Fuji's solution.

OSX 10.4.10 • RAMpage 9.4 • Dynastrip 4.2
                    EFI Colorproof XF • Avantra 30 • Epson 7600

Comment

Hi Lammy,

Did you take a look at the Suprasetter A series? There is a two up and four up. With an integrated debris removal system, they are designed to work well with chemfree and processless technology. What plate sizes do you use and how many a day do you image?

Regards,

Mark Tonkovich
                      Heidelberg USA
                      Product Manager, CtP & Proofing
                      Mark Tonkovich
                      Heidelberg USA

Comment

I've seen a few used for sale. Usually for more than the trendsetters. Our largest plate is about 23 x 29, smallest is 11 x 18, we also have a 13 x19 plate. On a good week we do 100 plates across all three press sizes.

OSX 10.4.10 • RAMpage 9.4 • Dynastrip 4.2
                        EFI Colorproof XF • Avantra 30 • Epson 7600

Comment

Hi Lammy,

I do not think you saw any used Suprasetter A series machines, they are too new. The A was designed for the small format printer. A Suprasetter A74 would cover all three of your plate sizes. It would image about 9 full format plates per hour with our Chemfree plate, more on the smaller sizes

Link: {[http://www.us.heidelberg.com/www/html/en/content/articles/press_lounge/products/computer_to_plate/suprasetter_family/060920_suprasetter]}

If you want more information, I can have someone contact you.

Regards,

Mark
                          Mark Tonkovich
                          Heidelberg USA

Comment

> {quote:title=Corys8646 wrote:}{quote}
                            > We are getting ready to demo a couple sets of the Azura plates from Agfa. We have been running the Fuji LHPI/LHPJ plates for a few years now (and been very happy), but the pricing Agfa has approached us with is hard to ignore.
                            >
                            > The plates will be imaged and gummed offsite, we will just mount and run.
                            >
                            > I am looking for any suggestions I can give the pressman from people that are running these plates. Any tips to pass on?

Cory,

You could image 'em on your CTP device and then get 'em processed off-site. Makes it a little more "real-world". Steve's alluding to faster imaging in the future, but right now the Azura has pretty high power requirements - too high for me to entertain ideas of their use - but that's on my CTP device.

rich

Comment

The high power requirements (and slower imaging) is the reason why we
                              haven't looked at the agfa product (or kodak) up until now. We recently
                              purchased a new imager with a little higher throughput, so we can take
                              the speed hit now.

I thought about imaging them here, but didn't want to go through the
                              hassle to adjust focus/speed for a test.

I have confidence that they will image fine, convincing the pressman is
                              the real battle

Thanks

Comment

4OverStandard FinishingDuploSmartsoft (Presswise)AleyantCanonKBA
                              Standard FinishingDuploAleyantCanonGraph Expo4 PeesLabelexpoKBAKBA4Over

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4912 users online. 95 members and 4817 guests.

Most users ever online was 6,597 at 10:25 AM on 04-20-2018.

Working...
                              X