Magnus 400 again

Brian G

Any users of the Magnus 400 or Magnus 400 Quantum out there? Looking for any kind of comment on it. Maintenance, reliability, productivity, type of plate(s) you image on it etc. I realize that there have been threads on this subject especially in comparison with the Screen 4300. Unless I missed it, I didn't see much feedback on those threads, so I'm resurrecting the subject.
Thanks.

Re: Magnus 400 again

Magnus 400 - cheapest Creo/Kodak CTP developed in Israel by former Scitex.
Entry level machine with 2 flavors - Thermal Laser Head - Quantum (Creo TH2 - Vancouver) or LDA (diode-fiber optics - Israel)
Compatible with Creo-Kodak workflows or third party through Xpo application (third party Tiff's requires special license)
Very popular for small business, fairly reliable. The main design is from Lotem400 which was released about 10 years ago.
It can be upgraded to a static MCU (multi cassette unit) which also allows internal punches.
Main problems - machine driven by software, susceptible to software bugs and Windows system instability; internal PC not upgradeable; weak design in power entry box - drum vacuum pump area; average dot quality on LDA version.
If anyone is looking to buy a manual machine I strongly recommend you to look for an used Trendsetter 3244 serial number TE242 and up, which is the best ever built CTP.

If a business is looking for high plate productivity (i.e. 250 plates a day, duplicator to "6-up" mix in plates), is a fully automated Magnus 400 Quantum a plausible route to take?

Hi Brian,

As an alternative, have you looked at the Suprasetter 74? It is availalbe as 21 or 33 plates per hour . The autoloader cassettes will hold 150 6mil to 100 12 mil plates including slipsheets. With the Multi Cassette Loader, you have the potential for up to 4 cassettes with 600 6 mil to 400 12 mil plates on line. The autoloader is in back of the Suprasetter and the conveyor is built in the top of it, eliminating the need for an external conveyor. By being in the back, the front of the Suprasetter is unobstructed and you can manually feed a quick plate if you need to. Temperature Compensation is standard. We only offer a high end laser system, it is rated to 400 line screen and has the fail safe Intelligent Diode System. The laser is only on when imaging plates. If you need anymore information, please let me know. Here is a link:

[Suprasetter|http://www.heidelberg.com/www/html/...prepress_output/suprasetter_family2,features]

Regards,

Mark

We haven't taken an in-depth look at the Suprasetter. Saw one in operation last October.
So, am I correct in saying that your "chem-free" plate would probably image around 21/hr?
What type of plate would image at 33 through the Suprasetter?
brian

Hi Brian,

We have two plates that will image at 33 pph (printing conditions dependent), our Saphira Thermoplate PN and Thermoplate PA. PN is very high resolution, rated up to 400 line whereas PA is a little lower, rated at 300 line. Both are chemistry based. With Chemfree, we now will actually get a bit more than 21. Opps, I forgot, we also have a 27 pph Supra 74 version, so up to 21, 27 or 33 pph for now. And Drupa will bring more for the Suprasetter and plate technology! We are pleased with the sucess of the Suprasetter and are closing in on 1800 shipped. Not bad for one of the most modern designed CtP on the market. Please let me know if I can be of any additional help.

Regards,

Mark

Brian,

I neglected to state if you have a 21 pph Suprasetter 74, it is field upgrade able to the 27 pph, the 33 pph or the Drupa pph.;), all with the same high quality laser system.

Regards,

Mark

Mark: I presume that the goal for the Chemfree plate will be to continue increasing its imaging speed and at the same time making it less sensitive to scratches or water (or coffee :) before it is imaged? (Full automation probably reduces those issues). The design and energy output/ consumption of the platesetting device fits in here somewhere, too, correct?

But, alas, I've hi-jacked my own thread! I'll let Mark work on the above and I'll ask again, "Any users of the Magnus 400 or Magnus 400 Quantum out there?"
brian

> {quote:title=Brian G wrote:}{quote}
> Mark: I presume that the goal for the Chemfree plate will be to continue increasing its imaging speed and at the same time making it less sensitive to scratches or water (or coffee :) before it is imaged? (Full automation probably reduces those issues). The design and energy output/ consumption of the platesetting device fits in here somewhere, too, correct?Brian,

Yes and Yes! We already boosted the energy output and there is more to come, being a Drupa year and all.
Our autoloader does not require Starbucks;)

Regards,

Mark

"If a business is looking for high plate productivity (i.e. 250 plates a day, duplicator to "6-up" mix in plates), is a fully automated Magnus 400 Quantum a plausible route to take?"

If you're looking to buy one machine only, my answer is no. The sales people may say yes though....
I work in Creo/Kodak service and I know all their CTP machines inside out.
Magnus 400 Quantum (I suppose you will want the MCU) will image 250 plates a day but this means at least 10h daily with no hiccups. It will probably be able to perform this way around 70% of the time.
To image reliably 250 plates a day I would choose a machine able to this in 5-6 hours, so look for a CTP with more than 40pph performance. Plus, always have a backup.
My opinion is that Magnus 400 is optimal for a small, non-critical business.
If time is an issue and if you choose to go with Kodak, I will always go with a Trendsetter. It may lack the full automation, but it is still the best on the market. The design of this machine was great. Basically the same 10 years old engine design, it is reaching speeds of 260pph-broadsheet and 115pph-770mm wide.
We have customers running 5000 (yes 5000) plates during a night shift on only 3 machines (TSNews200)
For all out there advertising other machines, remember that Creo revolutionized this industry with their CTP's. They still have the best CTP money can buy and there are more than 10000 machines in the field. If you want to risk your money on some quasy- no-name product is your choice. All major printers, like RRD, Quebecor, Quad, and Transcontinental use them. Ever wonder why? The answer is - best product and best service. And they bought them while Screen, Agfa, etc. gave the machines for free bundled with plates

People out there should know one thing though: Magnus line, with the exception of Magnus VLF is based on the old school design from Scitex.
Scitex has an old philosophy and designers; they will never build top of the line products, but at the same time they have the best sales people.
Only the laser is made by former Creo, whose products were always way ahead of their time. The actual thermal head design is more than 10 years old, but still the leader in imaging speed and quality.
The only other CTP comparable on the market is Screen/Fuji which almost took the lead in imaging speed, but not quality.
Whoever is running Staccato 10 (FM -10 microns dot) can confirm.
This head is actually imaging a 3 microns dot and the same laser is being used by some companies in Europe for security printing at 12800dpi !
I cannot speak about Fuji/Screen service, but from what I know from customers, is inferior. Creo service is deteriorating but I still think it's the best.
One more thing about Magnus 400/800 - most parts are stored in US, but if something less common needs replacement, you may have to wait up to 20 days to have them shipped from Israel.
At the same time, all Trendsetter and Magnus VLF parts will come from Canada in 24h (max 48). Not sure how long this will last though, as the manufacturing is moving from Canada, in China.

Thanks Nemo, for your time and input on that response. You have a succinct, understandable writing style.
I'll still continue this thread as unanswered since I'm also looking for actual users of any kind of Magnus. And I'll keep an eye on the "Screen/Magnus" thread that's currently going on.

brian

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back