abdick dpm 1340 rip questions

inkslngre

Hello,
Looking for information on ripping files on a dpm 1340 cp. I picked this older dpm up for running 1 and 2 color work on my 3302. It makes great plates but this unit takes forever to rip a file. 6 to 7 hours to rip a 3.5 meg pdf. :( Is this normal? Is there a way to speed the rip up?

thanks
Alex

there is nothing normal about taking 6 hrs to rip a file.
What version of RIP do you have? WHat kind of PC and what OS is the rip running on?

Here is what i know about the DPM.
1999 model with pentium 233, 256 megs ram.
Win nt 4.0 service pack 4
Printers rip 4.1 r4
Harlequin level 3 rip

upgrade the rip

upgrade the rip

Here is what i know about the DPM.
1999 model with pentium 233, 256 megs ram.
Win nt 4.0 service pack 4
Printers rip 4.1 r4
Harlequin level 3 rip

We are a Harlequin OEM - the current version is version 8.3r0 - I can't imagine that RIP can even process certain operators !

well, this is always an interesting question...

well, this is always an interesting question...

What is involved in upgrading the rip? cost?
thanks
alex

Global Graphics tends to want you to go to the original OEM / Partner - typically, we all do things a little differently - sometimes, we can upgrade the rip, but then you sometimes run into that "will our driver work with your device ' issue...

So, the best way to discover if we can upgrade you is for you to email a reseller ( like Compose) your contact details and dongle number...and we will see if we can upgrade you.

I am not sure we are supposed to actually quote prices on this forum.

Sometimes, you can upgrade for $ 1200, but like I said, then there is the 'do we need to sell you a driver' - also, sometimes, the hardware is parallel, and sometimes it can't be upgraded (so we have to basically switch out the parallel dongle for a USB dongle ) - which is always a good idea, afetr all, that PC is probably ready to crash anyway, and you probably want to move to a new Windows 7 PC anyway, right ?

anyway, if you are interested in a formal quote, email me at [email protected]

As far as i know Presstek doesn't support that product any more. The PC that operates the DPM is built in and cant be upgraded. The best thing to do is send it jobs as postscript level 2.

RIP to TIFF Shooter

RIP to TIFF Shooter

As far as i know Presstek doesn't support that product any more. The PC that operates the DPM is built in and cant be upgraded. The best thing to do is send it jobs as postscript level 2.

This may not be an accurate assessment - when faced with this sort of situation, Compose customers simply use the older internal PC as TIFF shooter - that is, they run a modern RIP on a modern CPU and transfer 1 bit TIFF files. We drive PressTek and many other vendor products using this method.

I have added a link of the list;

Imagesetter / Platesetter

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back