Problems with Magnus 400 using Creo Xpo

bizz0ris

I have been having a reoccurring problem with my Kodak Magnus 400 platesetter that I haven't been able to find a solution for and was wondering if anyone out there has had a similar problem.

The issue I've been having is with some CT images on the plate getting lines through them like a row of pixels getting shifted out of place. The problem doesn't effect the LW parts only the CT. It seems to happen randomly and gets stuck on one spread even after a ReRIP. The only work around that I've discovered is to rotate the image on the plate 180 degrees. This fix works about 90% of the time and I only see the problem after the plate has been imaged and I'm tired of burning through plates.

Any information on this would be most helpful. If you need more details about whats happening let me know what and I'll try to provide it. Thanks in advance.

The Magnus runs using Creo Xpo v 3.00.68

Re: Problems with Magnus 400 using Creo Xpo

I've had a similar problem in the past on our rampage system. The solution has been to run the job without dual raster and send everything at the LW res.

This sounds just like the "white lines" issue people have complained about in PDF (in which you don't know if the white lines will print or not until looking at the ripped file or plate or press sheet).

I had this same problem earlier this week. I couldn't see any white lines in the PDF, but using the Object TouchUp tool, I could select pieces of the image, which showed the image have been cut up into Atomic regions (Adobe's term).

In my NexusRip, in the Band to PSTI module, I set the PSTI Mode to Antialias for jobs that have transparency. However, when I did this on this particular job, the white lines show up in the ripped file.

To fix this, I must set the PSTI Mode to HighQuality and check Point sampling for unscaled CT. What this does is create LW edge where two CTs meet - a LW edge that is not thick enough to trap and causes problems that I have to fix by settings I make in the trapping module. But after trial and error I get settings that I can use in my trapping module to overcome trapping problems.

In my opinion, I don't see even an Adobe PDF Print Engine giving satisfactory results if Adobe can't fix this issue that affects us all. Different rips do different things (and sometimes the same things but call them different names) to fight this problem that we all deal with at times. I just wish Adobe would quit dividing up the damn stuff into these Atomic regions, and if it can render without flattening transparency I could then see this one say being fixed. Until then, we must struggle along with these things. You might be able to use a program to look at the final file after ripping or before screening and/or plating to see if the problem will plate with these white lines.

Don

I have same problem, and problem is the software. Try to rotate everything for 90 degree.

Thanks for the reply...after playing with different rotation settings I found that the problem was in plate orientation setup on the Xpo side. It was setup to rotate the image on plate 180 degrees and was choking on some files that were a little too complex for it to handle. I solved it by setting the Xpo rotation to 0 and taking care of the correct rotation when I RIPed the files out. As a result I no longer have to wait while the job "fetches" before the plate is imaged. I drop the file in and the Magnus starts to purr.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back