Screen ctp tail clamps

hratchy

Dear Friends

As the Clamps are consumable part in the ctp (more than 1000 Euro), can we repair it, its only piece of rubber and springs.
Do anyone know where to repair it?
How we can know that it's life is over, other than machine warning?

Dear Friends

As the Clamps are consumable part in the ctp (more than 1000 Euro), can we repair it, its only piece of rubber and springs.

Dear friend, You have to spend money for service, maintenance and parts. The clamps aren't only a piece of rubber and springs. If it is only springs and rubbers why do not you make or buy them from a local shop. I am sure you will find something similar.
The story for someone like you and many other smart people who feel a CTP machine has to be making money and not interested to spend for maintenance, Technical Information, Service will end up with major Technical issues which has to be dealt with in the near future.You will have a major problem with registration, plate skew, flying plate, Clamp holder and..... Ignore the Machine Warning! Do not change the clamps, but Keep saving for today and save as much as you could.Do not be Dumb to spend any money for consumable parts, Technical information and maintenance and get everything for free (Be Smart!), You will have to spend all your savings in the near future for repair and replacement parts (Huge cost!!).
Smart is dumb, Dumb is smart.

Last edited:
hratchy,

Yes, the clamps can be repaired. If you have a Screen dealer in you area, you may want to ask them for the part number. Hopefully they still offer the parts.

STSTech

Thanks STSTech

I didn't want to mention it, but for more than 2 years i changed the clamps with repaired one without having any problems of (registration, plate skew, flying plate, Clamp holder and.....).
All i asked is how i know if the clamps need to be change, other than machine counter message.

Yes there is a repair kit and the counter on the CTP can be reset without repairing/replacing the Tail Clamps.

Do you know how to get into the service area of the control pad?

1 - As the Clamps are consumable part in the ctp (more than 1000 Euro), can we repair it, its only piece of rubber and springs.
2 - for more than 2 years i changed the clamps with repaired one without having any problems of (registration, plate skew, flying plate, Clamp holder and.....).
All i asked is how i know if the clamps need to be change, other than machine counter message.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So, if you know, why do you ask?
Only visual inspection will show any clamp damage.
The idea to make a Control Panel warning is the same as Epson printer send the message to change the caping station and other parts. You can put ZERO in counters and to continue the process but on/under your personal responsibility, and who knows - may be you'll be lucky to image the same amount of plates one more time or in a hundred jobs you'll get a real damage. Movable parts have shorter live than immovable ones.

Last edited:
Smart and Dump used as an expression and not meant to be used to disrespect you or anybody else. Frankly, I gave you my advise. Either you like it or not. I am sure you wouldn't follow that. You will have to learn the hard way. Good Luck.

Last edited:
Dear hratchy,
Just to give you advice-never ever think of it- to repair tail clamps, especially for PT-R4xxx. One of our customers put ZERO to the counter in order to stop notification. After several months one of the springs was broken and the clamp flew in the machine. The laser head was in the opposite side and kept alive. The operator told me that the noise and the shaking of the machine was terrific.
Please 1000 euro is not so much instead of broken machine.
Luck!

2 questions.

1. Why does Screen sell repair kits for clamps.

2. Cust get warning to replace clamps. Buys new clamps from Screen and has them installed. After 6 month of use, a clamp flies off. His plate count is 2000, and part is out of warranty. Who pays for the repairs?

STSTech

Thanks STSTech

I didn't want to mention it, but for more than 2 years i changed the clamps with repaired one without having any problems of (registration, plate skew, flying plate, Clamp holder and.....).

Of course. He knew everything, I mean everything from the start (He didn't want to mention it). He was only testing you guys to know if you have the knowledge on the clamps. He has been using the kit for over 2 years.Yeap! He knows everything! He is smart!

Last edited:
2 questions.

1. Why does Screen sell repair kits for clamps.

2. Cust get warning to replace clamps. Buys new clamps from Screen and has them installed. After 6 month of use, a clamp flies off. His plate count is 2000, and part is out of warranty. Who pays for the repairs?

STSTech

Hi,
This is the way the clamps for Screen Ctps were designed. All Ctps and CTFs have some sort of weaknesses beside the advantages. I can give you many examples from other brands which buyers have to pay for the consumables. The user has to know this before purchasing such an equipment and decide weather he has to invest on this or not. I see few people suggest to reset the warning message on the counter. That message is warning the user to replace the Clamps or pay for any possible damages in the future and it isn't meant the working life of clamps are over at that moment.

Last edited:
Dear hratchy,
Just to give you advice-never ever think of it- to repair tail clamps, especially for PT-R4xxx. One of our customers put ZERO to the counter in order to stop notification. After several months one of the springs was broken and the clamp flew in the machine. The laser head was in the opposite side and kept alive. The operator told me that the noise and the shaking of the machine was terrific.
Luck!
The clamps Inspection and repair is very precise procedure . It isn't only the replacement of Springs and rubbers unlike some smart people think.

Last edited:
The determination of repair just by someone looking at the screen and remarking "I havent had a single problem with the clamp. So just resetting the error is fine."

when your oil light comes on in your car do you put black tape over the
indicator and say "My car is ok the engine hasnt blown so I must be ok"

In my training at screen I was handed a good clamp and then handed a bad clamp, They both looked the same but upon education from my instructor had show that one was in a state of almost failer.

The clamps need to be removed and inspected. Perferebly by someone who know what he or she is looking for. I have heard stories of the clamp crashing through the recording head and that was from a customer who went in and reset the counter and thought he had inspected the clamps properly.

well I dont need to tell you where that 2000 daar repair went to.

The machine was replaced at the customers expense.

We've had our clamps replaced a few times now. The difference between new and old is very obvious unless you're blind. ;)

I had tech inspect clamps and reset counters because they looked fine, he said the counter is set very conservative to avoid any possible problem (and to sell consumables)

This comment isn't accepted from a Professional Technician who has to protect the client interest instead of his own. Screen is an old company with reliable prepress systems. There are many machines sold under different names which manufactured by Screen. Screen doesn't design something like that purposely to sell spare parts and consumable!

Last edited:
Gents,
Please let us stop this argue. As you change the oil of your car, the filters, the tyres etc, the same is with the Screen PT-R. If you want to use the clamps more that 20000 or 30000 loadings, it is your decision. We just advise you that you may have terrible problems, that cost more than the price of the clamps.
Regards!

Thanks to ALL how reply to me.

Thanks to ALL how reply to me.

Dear hratchy,
Luck!

Dear Ansoft

I liked your posts, and style of reply and expressing your idea, unlike some other (friends) that intend to hurt in there reply's, anyway thanks to you all my friends, actually i didn't expect to get all this reply's.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back