Tired of getting Zapped!

Hi there, I'm new to this forum as well as the printing side of the industry. I've just taken on a part-time evening job as a prepress technician. (I'm a freelance designer/photographer by day.) Anyway, we use the Creo aluminum plates at work and I'm getting shocked everytime I touch the plate, (sometimes there's a visible arch and an audible pop) Yeah, not fun.

So, does anyone have tips/tricks to help reduce this static electricity? Somehow, I need to figure out how to neutralize myself with the plate (without the inevitable zap!)

Yeah, I know...it's a trivial question but thought I'd at least ask.

All the best,
--Chris

Edited by: Chris on Apr 16, 2008 10:49 PM

Re: Tired of getting Zapped!

Hi Chris,

What is your humidity like where your platesetter is located? We maintain about 50% humidity and that keeps the zaps away.

All the best,
Jon Morgan
Hopkins Printing

Was a problem here as well. Winters in midwest are exceptionally dry. Humidifiers help, and some equipment here REQUIRE them. Best solution however, is buying a "static discharge" mat that sits directly in front of your CTP unit or where ever you handle the aluminum. Looks like any other standing matt, but discharges static. How, I'm not sure, but we purchased from our prepress consumables provider. Works great.

An anti-static mat would be nice, but costs money. I don't know how much, but I'll bet it is more expensive than seven paperclips.

From my early days of spending hours in the frame room burning composite films from orange vinyl masks, rubylith and film I remember making a chain of seven large paperclips. Tuck it into your sock and make certain it touches the ground. And now your 'grounded' and no more zapping.

And maybe after seeing you walking around with paperclips in your sock the higher-ups might decide to go ahead and buy an anti-static mat.

Good Luck!

Now that sounds like a solution! Thanks for the tips everyone. I knew there was an answer and that I couldn't possibly be the only person dealing with the issue. I'll try out the paperclips later today to see if that works. I'll try to find a distributor of the mats and propose it to my boss; but being a new employee, I doubt that complaining of constant zapps will reflect well to the bosses.

Thanks so much for the imput everyone!

The paperclip trick works great! Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to get the static wristband next. The paper sleeves between the plates are no longer clinging together and troublesome to stack anymore! Thanks again.

Hi Chris,

I've done the paperclip thing at an earlier shop. We now have a BIG humidifier and an old film developing pan which is placed on the floor and filled with water with an oscillating fan blowing on it. We try to keep the humidity level above 30%. We also have an antistatic mat which we spray with water.

Hello!

In Sweden we use ESD shoes in combination with a steam machine (not in the shoes offcourse)

Edited by: andree on Apr 24, 2008 1:10 PM

Anti-Static Cranial Controller

Standing upright, take a roll of Reynolds aluminum tin foil and wrap around face and head in counter clockwise direction, making sure to cut at least one eye hole. Breathing holes are optional. Acquire 10-30ft of 10 gauge copper wire and one standard 3 prong electrical plug. Using Duct Tape (important), adhere one end of the wire to the top of your head, and the other end into the ground connection of the plug. Warning: Connection of copper wire to anything other than the ground on the plug will result in instant and painful death. That's it! Plug yourself into a standard 110 outlet and you can moonwalk on 3" shag carpeting without worrying about those pesky little zaps.

Will your co-workers laugh at the sight of you? Perhaps, but unless you remembered to cut the eye holes... you'll never even know!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back