Screen PlateRite8600S Not Exposing Plates

Lab Man

We have a frustrating problem in our prepress department, not sure if it is software or hardware related. We use Fuji LH-PJ positive plates, platesetter is Screen PlateRite 8600S.

There are 3 different plate sizes, 40 inch, 28 inch, and small plate for a jet press. We also have an autoloader.

Here is the problem – at random times, plates will come out of the processor blue (never exposed). Once the first blue plate comes out, any plates that follow also come out blue.

To fix the problem temporarily, I shut off the platesetter, then cut it back on.

The blue plate problem might not come back for a couple of days, or later in the same day. Completely random.

The bitmap images are sent over by a "tiff catcher" computer. The images are originally ripped by Nexus, then sent to this computer. The TIFF catcher is pretty old, running Windows XP. The software on it is Trueflow 3 FlatRunner, DOTTIFF Controller Ver 4.00

This problem happens with any size plate. Again, I shut the platesetter off, back on. Then, I can retry any one of the images that failed to expose, and they come out fine. So I know it's not a RIP issue; there is nothing wrong with the image initially. It's some sort of communication error.

Just to reiterate - the tiff catcher does nothing to the images, just sends them over to the platesetter. They are already ripped by Nexus when this computer gets them.

Also note I do not get any error on the Screen machine, or on the tiff catcher. The only way we are alerted to the problem is when we see blue plates coming out of the processor.

Fuji technical support suggested reseating the computer's SCSI card, which we did and it had no effect.

Any help or input regarding this problem would be appreciated. Thank you.

There are a few things that you need to figure out first. I'd first try to pinpoint where the problem is (there are a few places). I also have a wildcard that you should take seriously no matter how insane it sounds.

Wildcard first:
What's the humidity in the room? Do you control or maintain humidity? Given that it is Winter in the Northern Hemisphere and I have no idea where you are located (powerful AC can actually do this in the summer too). I've seen BIZARRE behavior from all kinds of electrical equipment - especially CtF and CtP devices - from low humidity.

I once had a CtF machine that exhibited near identical behavior and we were ready to replace $50,000 worth of computer boards only to have a technician open the machine up and receive an electrical arc (static discharge) that leaped ~2" from a turned off, unplugged machine. We all went WTF? We then realized the humidity was so low in our CtP room that the device couldn't discharge and was not behaving normally. A trip was made to a big box retailer for a $30 humidifier and the problem was FOREVER solved.

Extra example for fun: We have a 70" flatscreen in our scheduling office and suddenly all of the HDMI input ports wouldn't work. Tried EVERYTHING. Put a $30 humidifier in the room and everything was normal again.

Some places to start if it for sure isn't humidity related:
  • Check the PIF cable connecting the TIFF catcher computer to the CtP. Are there any bends or marks on it where it could've been damaged? Is it connected firmly to both the computer and CtP?
  • Check the PIF card in the computer. There are applications for testing and verifying them.
  • Shutdown the TIFF Catcher and boot it into Safemode (run MSCONFIG setup /safeboot) and then run a full scan disk. Then run disk defragmenter (repeatedly if necessary). It could be Windows file system fragmentation. I've seen fragmentation cause Windows to do very weird things.
  • Start reviewing the 1 bit tiffs being sent to the TIFF catcher. There are free programs for reviewing 1bit tiff files. Make sure that your Nexus RIP isn't possibly outputting garbled TIFF files.

Side note... that TIFF catcher running Windows XP - it is without any argument more than completely overdue for replacement. Get over it and get it done and yes, you'll almost certainly need a buy a new PIF card if you don't buy the server from Fujifilm or Screen. Realize that your entire plant relies on that server.

HI, you van try on this:
When the problem come (unexposed plate), stop the output from RIP, go CTP offline and print a machine internal expose job
like Focus, Zoom, Light test or any pattern test. Then you can confirm the problem was from CTP or RIP.
Hope this help.

Thank you both for the advice. HWJJ I will try the internal test the next time it happens.
Chevalier do you have any suggestions on what kind of server and software options there are to replace the current XP machine. I've done a little searching but I find whole RIP systems. I don't really need a RIP, just something to send the TIFFs over to the 8600S. Thanks very much in advance.

Take a look at a Raster Blaster TIFF Catcher with a USB interface from Xitron. We have a PlateRite 8600 and use Xitron's Navigator RIP with the interface. Works great...good support. We use the same Fuji plates as well.

Take a look at a Raster Blaster TIFF Catcher with a USB interface from Xitron. We have a PlateRite 8600 and use Xitron's Navigator RIP with the interface. Works great...good support. We use the same Fuji plates as well.

Your other option is to call Fujifilm or Screen and get a quote. I know that Fujifilm USA uses Proactive Technologies for their servers. If your dead set set on building one yourself just match the specs that they provide you in their quote. Do realize that you'll have to order a PIF card through Fujifilm, Screen, etc. slotted for the new motherboard slot (PCIE, PCIX, etc.) or some kind of other interface like the Xitron raster blaster solution.

Thanks to everybody for their help with this. The blue plate problem continues but it is sporadic. It hasn't even happened this week.

A couple of times when it happened since I last posted, I tried a pattern image which was successful. The interesting thing is, after doing this, I did not shut off the platesetter. I brought it back online and sent more jobs from the DTC, and they came out OK. So it may be that I don't have to shut the platesetter down, just take it offline and put it back online.

Fuji sent a new cable but its the wrong one. Maybe when the correct cable comes in the problem will be solved. Thanks again.

I have a screen 8800ii CTP and the problem is humidity error message. I have 2 Air conditional in the room . please advise.

Last edited:
Have you measured the humidity in the room? Just having two AC machines don't yet mean a thing unless you know what the real humidity is. Sometimes the AC actually dries the air.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back