CTP&Newsprint need urgent help:(

No Title

Hello Alois,

The paper is being stored in a storage, which is cold and pretty wet because of the cold. (Attached some pics). Only one thing divides the place from outside - the gate, which is opening upwards and it is not stopping any cold or smthng like that.
Two or three days before the print (depends on how many newspapers we have) some reels are brought inside and kept by the machine, so that the paper could warm up. But I believe, it is a total nonsense. Am I right?.. 'Cause the people here are telling me I am not right and everything is ok - when it is obviously not. Alois, what do You think?
I do not believe we have Infeed tension control, the only tension is coming from the folder.

Attachments

• photo6235.jpg
    photo6235.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 224
  • photo6236.jpg
    photo6236.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 221
  • photo6237.jpg
    photo6237.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 229
  • photo6238.jpg
    photo6238.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 228
  • photo6240.jpg
    photo6240.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 202
No Title

couple of pics more

Attachments

• photo6239.jpg
    photo6239.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 202
  • photo6241.jpg
    photo6241.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 212
Hello magnetas,

Obvious from the pics that the paper is stored in unsuitable conditions .... the unwind views of the

web entering press unit confirm this.

Paper storage should be as close to the Pressroom temperature/humidity as possible.

DO NOT store the bottom reels(rolls) of the stack ON FLOOR .... store on pallets.

In extremely cold winter conditions, paper can take up to 14 days to achieve ambient temperature

throughout the reel (roll)

Regards, Alois

magnetas, Your press tension level is set via the Dancer setting, which in turn controls the reelstand brake,

which controls the web only into the 1st press unit. This is NOT A GOOD SYSTEM if you want control of colour register.

Regards, Alois

No Title

Hello Alois,

Looks like pure tragedy to me - the technologist has no problem with that, the dampening problem still persists and is being solved like for a month or more now. That is starting to make me crazy.
I have a question - could You write something very strict about that, so that I can just tell an opinion from another person from another country, as it must be solved faster, not doing all of the talking only. I am desperate really now, I am afraid to loose clients.:(

Attachments

• photo6348.jpg
    photo6348.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 227
  • photo6347.jpg
    photo6347.jpg
    991.5 KB · Views: 232
  • photo6346.jpg
    photo6346.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 213
  • photo6345.jpg
    photo6345.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 251
  • photo6344.jpg
    photo6344.jpg
    774.6 KB · Views: 240
No Title

Attachments

• photo6352.jpg
    photo6352.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 233
  • photo6351.jpg
    photo6351.jpg
    965.4 KB · Views: 238
  • photo6350.jpg
    photo6350.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 209
  • photo6349.jpg
    photo6349.jpg
    979.5 KB · Views: 219
Hello magnetas,

ALL the press cylinders need re-setting also you have "Creasing" of the web.

1) The classic signs that the Cylinders need setting........ look at Picture 4 of the 4 you posted, you will see at the "Pin Edge" a series of 4 or more Cylinder Bounce Marks (Dark)

these marks correspond to the "Cylinder Gears ( Pitch Circle) of the gear teeth.

Regards, Alois

Last edited:
Hi Alois,

The problems persist, but the rubber has been changed, the dampening is being monitored and everything is better, but the thing which drives a bit crazy is one right now. The printers are blaming the CTP, but I do not think it is the problem. For example, when they have a smaller newspaper of 16 pages and they print 4+1, everything is ok, but when they print the 16 pages 4+4, they use both two towers and there the problem starts - the aligment is gone so far, that it is almost impossible to catch it and the bin is full of kilos of waste.:(( So two towers is a big problem.
What do you think it could be? Not the plates, I do not think so? They are all the same. Or as the paper is getting wider to the top because of the dampening the image on the plate should get a little adjusted and slightly larger by percentage? That could be with the use of an old machine..:((
Thank You Alois!

Hi,
Although I've no experience of web presses but as a CTP service tech I'm sure this problem has nothing to do with CTP.

Regards
Asif

it is a real tragedy:((( one of the newspapers seems to be ok, the other one is a tragedy: pictures are quite ok, just there is a slight problem with the resolution, which is fixable.
there is way too much black, but anyway, we do not get any print quality. mud, darkness. i call it "soup". rubber has been changed. paper has been changed. do the towers (dev&goss, build year round 87) belong to metal waste? it seems the printers cannot print with both towers, or the towers are too old for working with them.
need some ideas, as I am still desperate:(((

Attachments

• photo6877.jpg
    photo6877.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 217
  • photo6880.jpg
    photo6880.jpg
    282.9 KB · Views: 232
  • photo6876.jpg
    photo6876.jpg
    548.7 KB · Views: 205
  • photo6878.jpg
    photo6878.jpg
    499.5 KB · Views: 196
  • photo6879.jpg
    photo6879.jpg
    514.1 KB · Views: 228
it is a real tragedy:((( one of the newspapers seems to be ok, the other one is a tragedy: pictures are quite ok, just there is a slight problem with the resolution, which is fixable.
there is way too much black, but anyway, we do not get any print quality. mud, darkness. i call it "soup". rubber has been changed. paper has been changed. do the towers (dev&goss, build year round 87) belong to metal waste? it seems the printers cannot print with both towers, or the towers are too old for working with them.
need some ideas, as I am still desperate:(((

Looks good. Ship it. LOL

To get the best results you need to look at your whole system not just one part.
Let's start with the source.
Can you post the original photos of the 1st and 3rd images (the guy holding the paper and the guy with the ladle).
Then post the same images after going through your RIP - i.e. the same images that will be plated.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back