Suprasetter A75 needs to burn 775mm plates??

Alith7

So I have a fun problem this week.

The short: Anyone have any success getting a Suprasetter A75 to feed and run plates larger than 760mm wide on slowscan?

The full explanation:
We just installed a new-to-us Heidelberg Suprasetter A75.
Somehow, both the owner and the sales guy missed that it's max width plate is 760mm.
Our big plates are 775mm. This is definitely a SMDH moment.
Fought with it all weekend, I found in the service settings in the GUI where to change the max width. It even says for that setting that you can go up to 800mm.
I measured everything in the feedpath that I could reach, and it all measures PLENTY wide.
There's even vacuum channels on the drum that measure at 780mm to the outer edge of the channels. So everything looks like it SHOULD work. Except for one part that we don't even need anyways.
This set-up came from a shop that had processed plates. We run processless, so don't need any of the post process conveyors or processor. The exit conveyor rollers measure at approx 765mm wide. so there's the sticking point.
It appears that the machine would eject the plates into our gravity catcher just fine without the conveyor, but when they did the install, they said the machine won't run without the conveyor (this from Heidelberg).

So I guess I'm looking for help for two things.
1. How to get the plate burner to function without having the exit conveyor.
2. How to get the settings for the wider plate to work.

I do have the password to get into both the service and the R&D modes to change the parameters.
I have tried all the obvious settings I can find, so I'm hoping someone out there might know what not-so-obvious settings I'm missing.
I also did try to call Heidelberg support and got the expected, "Nope. Specs say it can't, so it just can't."
Even after I pointed out that I found the settings that let me change the max slowscan width to up to 800, hoping maybe to prod them into helping me figure this out. No joy.

Thank you for reading, your help if you have it, or your commiseration if you don't.
;)

Most manufacturers build them a bit larger than stated in the specs so there is always a bit of "bleed" on the machines, however having said that the zero and end points of the encoders and sensors are set within these somewhat wider formats, easiest would be for both your boss shaped person and Dumbo the sales guy to cough and shuffle their feet in embarrassment, take the machine back and get one in a larger format.

well.... there's that.
But there's the part where he's the guy that signs my paycheck.... soo..... ;)
We can work with it as it is, even limited to the 760.
We only go to our max press width about half dozen times a year, and we are keeping our old plate burner so we can keep a box of plates for the larger size, and just start using the smaller for day to day production.
I figured that it was worth asking though. I know that a lot of times Heidelberg just falls back on the "not in the specs, can't do it" answer, but that doesn't always mean it's not possible.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back