Presstek Freedom Pro Plates

Brunswick

We have had notification that production of these plates has stopped.
Can anybody on the forum recommend a plate to use on our vector TX or is it scrap metal now..

We moved away from Presstek last year, we had a Dimension. Best decision we ever made. Presstek has been unstable over the years, changing ownership and for us they pulled out of Canada so everything we ordered came from the US. We bought a used Screen 4100 and switched to Kodak Sonora XP plates. All the headaches of dealing with the presstek dimension and the anthem plates went away.

My boss has his lawyer looking into a possible class action suit now. Our company is on the hook for over $20K on our platemaker. We have only been able to scrounge 4 boxes of plates before we need to find another plate source or integrate a whole new plate making system.

Last edited:
Wish I could scrounge some plates. Just found this all out today while trying to track down the plates that we ordered 3 weeks ago. I'm wondering if the folks at Presstek understand that without plates, our presses don't run. I've been reaching out to my lawyer as well.

I need the operation manual.
Thanks

Attachments

• photo6832.jpg
    photo6832.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 367
Hi Brunswick

You may be able to reduce the laser power value in your CTP down to where it could successfully image Kodak Sonora plates. You will also have to change your imaging setup so that you write the image area and not the background as you did in the previous Presstek plates. These plates develop on press and so do not need a plate processor or washout unit.

Fair disclosure: 1) I sell Kodak products in my market. 2) I have no official document from Kodak that this is possible

Marc

Marc,
I would be very interested in how one would go about reducing the power to the laser.
Thank you in advance for any info you would have.
Steve

We tried using Kodak XP Sonora plates on our old Presstek Dimension. Took a tech a long time to get it calibrated seeing as it all had to be done by eye according to him. Poor results on press and the Presstek laser calibration is a nightmare and needed constant adjustment. We ended up buying a Used Screen 4100 which is a complete dream compared to the Presstek CTP we had. Kodak XP plates are amazing, so simple, image and throw on press. Feels like I just lost a huge part of my work load... which I did!

I'm in the same boat! And even though their letter states "we will have limited quantities of the plates remaining and will do our best to accommodate Freedom Pro orders placed from this day forward...." as of right now I've been offered 5 packages of a 12mil plate, rather than the 8 mill which I have been running. When I told them "my press can't run a 12 mil plate I need to run 8", they said that can't happen. Won't even give me 6. So basically they sent me a letter saying they would sell me a few from their "limited quantities" when actually they were just lying to me and sent me the letter saying the product was discontinued "effective immediately" when it was actually discontinued a while back. So once I use what's on my shelf....my equipment that I invested in two years ago as a long-term solution is scrap and worthless. That hurts pretty bad for a small shop like me. So I would also be interested in what your suggested alternatives are, and interested in the lawsuits. I can't afford a lawyer on this matter, but if a group method is needed to show these SOB's what their carelessness has done, and to help us solve this problem, please count me in!

Also, my letter is dated August 11, 2017. I noticed that Brunswicks initial post was July 31st. I'm curious what date your letter has and why my notice was later.......?
And ya, Pat D, I had an order and called in to ask about it after I got the notification to find out that my online order I placed with no issue, error, or anything was "deleted with a note to call the customer to inform them....." and that call never came.

Marc,
I would be very interested in how one would go about reducing the power to the laser.
Thank you in advance for any info you would have.
Steve

Hi Budgetprintsgreen

Unfortunately I'm not a pressteck Tech, so don't have the info. I did read that the Dimension lasers are somewhat unstable at lower powers so this may not be a solution for you since balancing the multiple lasers on these devices has been said to be very difficult, more so at lower intensities.

In fact this difficulty, this allowed me to replace two of these machines with a pair of Kodak Trendsetters at one client because we could calibrate the machines to exactly match each others output.

Brunswick If you are using a Vector TX 52, which is an internal drum machine with a single laser, you might have more success. In fact you may not even meed to change the laser exposure value. This model seems to be using a Harlequin based rip so the exposure value may be in the Hardware menu and not in the rip, as it is in the similarly built Mitsubishi Polyester plate CTP. Your user manual should have a section on setting the exposure value.

The only difficulty you may encounter is that the TX52 includes a built in water washout section which may work for the Sonora plate, but is not officially supported by Kodak as a method for developing this plate. I would suggest that if you are in a position of not having any other option, you contact you local Kodak Plate re-seller and ask them for some sample Kodak Sonora plates to test.

Please note: I am not trained on the Pressteck line of ctp equipment, this is a Hail Mary Pass type solution. YMMV. You promise to hold me free from any litigation if you choose to follow my ideas. If it works, you can buy me a beer if we ever meet IRL. If it does not work, I will commiserate with you and buy you a beer. FOB nearest Bar, Shipping and handling not included.

Additional disclaimer:
1) I do not work directly for Kodak.
2) This is not an official Kodak Approved Solution.
3) I am a vendor that sells Kodak products in my Market (The Caribbean)

Marc

Last edited:
I hope we can all band together and solve this problem !

My boss has his lawyer looking into a possible class action suit now. Our company is on the hook for over $20K on our platemaker. We have only been able to scrounge 4 boxes of plates before we need to find another plate source or integrate a whole new plate making system.

We here at my company have been told, because we owe so much on our machine, that we are in the top tier (whatever that means) priority with PressTek. I don't hear from them unless I reach out first, then I get a response that PressTek is aware of the situation and working on a solution. #runaround.

Last edited:
Just read this thread and was surprised ! Guess I should call Presstek and see if there will be a problem with their Aurora plates. I switched to the Aurora plated about 3 or 4 yrs. ago and have had great luck. Their run length is not long but my runs are mostly short (anything over 10m I watch closely), occasionally I have to make a plate over if it wears to soon.

Lowering the laser power to accommodate the Aurora was pretty simple !

You should be fine, it only affects Freedom Pro plates , but I would see if another brand will work with your machine, just in case.

Just read this thread and was surprised ! Guess I should call Presstek and see if there will be a problem with their Aurora plates. I switched to the Aurora plated about 3 or 4 yrs. ago and have had great luck. Their run length is not long but my runs are mostly short (anything over 10m I watch closely), occasionally I have to make a plate over if it wears to soon.

Lowering the laser power to accommodate the Aurora was pretty simple !

Hey CaboMike,
If I were you I would keep on top of them. I was told I was given a priority as well because I have a DI I get plates for from them. I was offered several packages, and was walked through placing an order for them. Everything looked legit. I even got two follow-up calls confirming 2 had shipped that the rest would be soon to follow. But then came the call today asking how long two packages would last me.....after me digging I found out the rest aren't following. I'm getting a run-around again. This is a bunch of BS! Anybody have any luck with a lawsuit?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back