Sonora XP — what about FM capabilities?

cementary

I'd like to ask Kodak Sonora XP users — do you print Staccato?
If yes — what size? 20µ, 25µ, 30µ?
Do you have any difficulties with consistensy of exposure with 20µ? And what about your uncalibrated dot gain? How high is it?

Recently i've heard an opininon from experienced person that Sonora XP is closer to the violet plates than to thermal.
While i think it's kinda exxaggeration, obviously i can be wrong with that.
Currently we print AM 150/175 lpi and Staccato 20µ sometimes, but we're not really happy with Staccato consistensy.

P.S. if you have what to say on that but don't want to do it publically — please feel free to PM me.

Hi,
we print on Sonora XP.
We use Co-Res Screening (Hybrid screening) 20 micron itohut problem on our PT-R 8600.
Plate calibration and Dot Gain on press are performed with their instrument.
So in my opinion no problem founded.
Never tested on pure stochastic screening…

Hope it can help you

G:

Hi,
we print on Sonora XP.
We use Co-Res Screening (Hybrid screening) 20 micron itohut problem on our PT-R 8600.
Plate calibration and Dot Gain on press are performed with their instrument.
So in my opinion no problem founded.
Never tested on pure stochastic screening…

Hope it can help you

G:

Co-Res screening is not hybrid screening.

It is a conventional AM "supercell" screen (that's according to Fujifilm) that's equivalent to Agfa's ABS and other contemporary conventional AM screens. And again, according to them, it was designed to overcome grey levels limitation embodied by the classic formula: (dpi/lpi)2 = gray levels. Other screening vendors had solved that issue decades earlier.

So, from that point of view it shouldn't be compared to FM screening.

Sonora XP, according to Kodak's data sheet is qualified for 20 micron FM. If you're not really happy with Staccato consistency (on press?) - the problem may lie elsewhere. Especially if you just use the screening on occasion.

Last edited:
Co-Res screening is not hybrid screening.

It is a conventional AM "supercell" screen (that's according to Fujifilm) that's equivalent to Agfa's ABS and other contemporary conventional AM screens. And again, according to them, it was designed to overcome grey levels limitation embodied by the classic formula: (dpi/lpi)2 = gray levels. Other screening vendors had solved that issue decades earlier.

So, from that point of view it shouldn't be compared to FM screening.

Sonora XP, according to Kodak's data sheet is qualified for 20 micron FM. If you're not really happy with Staccato consistency (on press?) - the problem may lie elsewhere. Especially if you just use the screening on occasion.

Well, I believe that problem is ink, blanket and bad roller settings. And lack of experience with staccato for pressmen. But maybe someone has to say something particularly on sonora

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back