Looking at Platesetter

kdw75

Is the Platerite 4300 a solid machine? We are looking at buying one that has been checked over and is in good working condition. It is a 2008 and we are planning to replace our film imagesetters and our film and plate processors. The seller is asking 35k for it and the RIP. What questions should I ask? Is this a reasonable price?

Was it previously under a service contract? What kind of RIP is it coming with? How many plate has it imaged? Is there any automation?
That being said/asked... Screen devices are rock-solid.

Ok. He said it is a brand new RIP with the latest software. He is a dealer and will do the install. He says the machine has 5000 hours on it.

I have 4300's under service contract which made over 600 000 plates and still going well.
Chris

4300 is a solid CTP What is RIP? Will it be supported by manufacturer if you buy it or will it have to be relicensed

Even if it is an old Screen HQ510-RIP coming with your second-hand plate write 4300, you can easily upgrade to the latest Xitron Navigator v12 (Harlequin) & Xitron´s blue box interface.

Check maintenance history if possible, lead screw greasing periods (if any), diodes condition (iop-iopd).

Is the Platerite 4300 a solid machine? We are looking at buying one that has been checked over and is in good working condition. It is a 2008 and we are planning to replace our film imagesetters and our film and plate processors. The seller is asking 35k for it and the RIP. What questions should I ask? Is this a reasonable price?

They are solid machines, and probably the most common CTP out there for a reason, Parts are easy to get, in regards to price, as others have said make sure diodes are OK, clamps cycles are low, also worth checking m41 pump is working.

Regarding RIP, it is worth checking what you need, if it is just a HQN RIP on its own, the GUI is dire (20 years it has stayed the same), the core Interpreter is good. If you are looking at something which allows you to organise jobs, impose etc you may need something else. Either something more High end from Screen, Fuji etc, or Workflow Bolt on programs to the harlequin RIP.

I would always recommend checking the inside of the machine ask to look at the filters, a good dealer will clean the machine on the inside as well as the outside and check and replace parts such as filters / diodes as a matter of course.

Some dodgy dealers idea of refurbishment is to pick up a machine from Site A, clean the outside of the unit in the truck and drop off at Site B

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back