Freedom Pro Alternative

benqpkanab

I figured this is a shot in the dark, but wanted to ask and see what's out there. I was able to secure enough plates to last me until now but it's time to face the facts. Before I push this platemaker off of a cliff, I wanted to see if anyone has been able to source some sort of alternative plates that can be used instead of the freedompro plates. Any and all help would be very much appreciated!

We had a Dimension 425 and it was ok when new but really caused headaches down the road. We decided to go with another plate after using the anthem pro plates for about 10 years. We tried to make the Kodak Sonora XP plates work, had a guy who used to work on Presstek along with a guy from kodak to see if they could make it work. They did... partially. Was not a great image and would need constant calibration which was part of the problem and the reason we wanted to get away from the presstek. We opted for a used Screen PlateRite 4100. Same age as our Dimension but so much better when switched to the Sonora XP plate and so much less headaches. Personally knowing what I know now I would junk the Presstek and move to a screen device. We cannot even give our Dimension away which says something right there I think.

Bummer. Ok, I kind of figured that's what I'd find out. I'm just a small shop and invested in this system used only a few years ago. Still owe $ on the setup. So I can't really afford to just junk it and purchase another system. But I guess I have no choice.

Bummer. Ok, I kind of figured that's what I'd find out. I'm just a small shop and invested in this system used only a few years ago. Still owe $ on the setup. So I can't really afford to just junk it and purchase another system. But I guess I have no choice.

Which model Presstek CTP do you have?

There might be other options that work, we only tried the Kodak Sonora XP plates as that is what we wanted to move to and they could not get them even close to being good for press. Might be different with other types of plates. We started with Presstek and they had strong support and supplies in our country (Canada). Over the years that changed, first the company moved all its warehouses to the US so delivery times took longer, then the company was sold and sold again. It all just went down and down and down. Might be an expensive lesson to move to something else, but the headaches down the road could be worth it.

That being said I would still see search around and see if any other types of plates can be made to work. The problem is finding people who still use the presstek and even fewer who use non presstek plates.

Hello All, in Italy we are successfully using Sonora XP plates or Agfa azura plates. It is necessary to correctly set up power and FOCUS, otherwise the calibration becomes unstable. With the proper focus and calibration the Presstek Dimension 400, 800 and 425 units are stable for 2 months up to 4 months. It dipends on the environment condition of the room. Generally out customers do a test ( on press) to correct minor issues on calibration. We have more than 40 units still working.

Hello All, in Italy we are successfully using Sonora XP plates or Agfa azura plates. It is necessary to correctly set up power and FOCUS, otherwise the calibration becomes unstable. With the proper focus and calibration the Presstek Dimension 400, 800 and 425 units are stable for 2 months up to 4 months. It dipends on the environment condition of the room. Generally out customers do a test ( on press) to correct minor issues on calibration. We have more than 40 units still working.

I think part of the problem is getting someone who knows how to work on these machines. We thankfully had a # for a guy who used to work for Presstek, was actually involved when we bought our Dimension from them and he had trouble trying to get our 425 working with the Sonora Plates, never actually got it to an acceptable level. Personally I think it is best to cut away from Presstek as soon as you can and get with someone more mainstream. We have been very happy with our Screen 4100 and that is probably the same age as our Dimension.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back