HP Laserjet 5000DN plate maker have enough detail for this?

Rdennnyjay

So I found a relatively cheap HP Laserjet 5000DN platemaker about an hour away from me. But I'm wondering if it will be able to create fine enough details on the plate for this (see attached). Do I need a better platemaker or will this suffice?

guilloches copy.jpg

No, this type of toner based printer is not capable enough to produce the high resolution and precision required for quality reproduction of such an intricate guilloche pattern.
A film imagesetter (CTF) or a CTP device is required.

No, this type of toner based printer is not capable enough to produce the high resolution and precision required for quality reproduction of such an intricate guilloche pattern.
A film imagesetter (CTF) or a CTP device is required.

Thanks! Could you provide me with some examples of these? I'm most likely in the market for something older and second hand (affordable).

Since the Xante unit is a toner based printer, it is not suitable.
The AB Dick DPM unit is basically an imagestter exposing polyester plates.
I am not familiar with that technology, other forum members may be able to comment from real life experience.
Personally, I suspect that its' not capable enough for such a demanding job as you want it to do but my suspicion may be wrong.

Thanks. I've found a print shop not to far away from me that is capable of doing it. Probably the most economical option as well.

Thanks. I've found a print shop not to far away from me that is capable of doing it. Probably the most economical option as well.

Since the guilloche lines are in color then you’ll either have to print them using spot colors or using a 10 micron FM screen otherwise you’ll likely introduce moiré. Make sure to see similar fine line work that the printer has previously done so that your expectations are set correctly.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back