Standard Finishing
4OverXerox

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plate Density...

Collapse
Canon
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Plate Density...

    Can someone tell me where I might find the recommended image density for Sonora XP plates or Azura TE plates?

  • #2
    What do you mean by “image density”?

    Comment


    • #3
      I am trying to determine what the strength of a solid should be on the plates. I am using a plate densitometer to check the density and it is reading a maximum of .5 on a processed plate.

      Comment


      • #4
        Hello kdw75


        In what way would knowing the "Density of the Plate Coating" be of help in whatever you are doing ?


        Regards, Alois

        Comment


        • #5
          I am trying to determine the correct amount of exposure. I am worried I might be under exposing the plates.

          Comment


          • #6
            Hello kdw,


            Why are you making "Hard Work" for your self - - Just use a CtP plate exposure control strip such as - Fogra/Ugra !!!


            Regards, Alois

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Alois Senefelder View Post
              Hello kdw,


              Why are you making "Hard Work" for your self - - Just use a CtP plate exposure control strip such as - Fogra/Ugra !!!


              Regards, Alois
              Where might one get this?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by kdw75 View Post
                I am trying to determine the correct amount of exposure. I am worried I might be under exposing the plates.
                Why are you doing it by yourself? Your local kodak dealers do not have servicemen?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by cementary View Post

                  Why are you doing it by yourself? Your local kodak dealers do not have servicemen?
                  I had not considered asking them. Before we got our CTP we just used an exposure scale when we burned them from film. I figured there would be a similar method for a CTP system. I don't see why plate manufacturers wouldn't publish an exposure target for their plates.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    According to the device manual, you can print out targets and look for plugging of fine details, but this seems like an extremely crude method when you can simply measure the density using our plate densitometer.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Is your "plate densitometer" capable for reading from processles plate?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by cementary View Post
                        Is your "plate densitometer" capable for reading from processles plate?
                        No. You have to process them first. While it will read the density of the image, it wouldn't be able to read the plate background accurately unless you process it first.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by kdw75 View Post

                          No. You have to process them first. While it will read the density of the image, it wouldn't be able to read the plate background accurately unless you process it first.
                          So, you put them on the press, or clean with weak ipa solution and then measure "density" of imaged area?
                          Is it some kind of voodoo magic for setting up correct exposure?
                          are you sure you're using correct term "density"? 'Cause plate readers like Icplate from xriite do not measure density - those are just fancy microscopes with simple rgb camera. For correct exposure evaluation all you need is checkerboard patches and microscope
                          Last edited by cementary; 07-10-2019, 05:46 PM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Well, that sounds like what I did. I printed tiny test patterns and they said to use a 20 power microscope to look for plugging of the patterns. The density meter tells me how intense the image is. If I up the exposure, it gives me a higher density reading. Just like on film and color bars.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by kdw75 View Post
                              Well, that sounds like what I did. I printed tiny test patterns and they said to use a 20 power microscope to look for plugging of the patterns. The density meter tells me how intense the image is. If I up the exposure, it gives me a higher density reading. Just like on film and color bars.
                              The problem is that the density reading is irrelevant. It's a thermal process. It's not like film at all. Using fountain solution on the Azura plate will work to remove the non-image area. But that's not how the Sonora works.

                              Comment

                              4OverCanonKBAAvantiXeroxSmartsoft (Presswise)DuploAMS

                              Free Download

                              Collapse

                              canon=
                              Print Embellishment Goes
                              Straight To The Bottom Line

                              See how your company can eliminate “Lowest Priced Bidder” from your pricing equation Download the Free White Paper.

                              Canon4OverXeroxSmartsoft (Presswise)DuploAvantiXeikonGraph ExpoKBAAMS

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 5129 users online. 90 members and 5039 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 6,855 at 12:33 PM on 06-06-2019.

                              Working...
                              X