Blinding problem

Ok take a plate straight from the imagesetter and dump it in a tray filled with developer for 30 -40 seconds,

(Depending on your current dwell time)

swill it around and see if the banding is still there. after pulling out and giving it a rinse, Obviously do all this in yellow light

If the problem is still there you know its the image setter or plate, if not its the processor.

Hi i'm Hessel Roskam and new to this forum. I work at a newspaper printing company in the Netherlands and we have a major problem concerning blinding of the plates.
We have 2 presses, a Goss Universal 70 of 8 years old and a Goss FPS of 9 months old and the problem apears on both presses. We use AGFA Lap-V silver plates with 2 AGFA Polaris XTV imagers and AGFA LP82 developing machines. Our Ink supplier is Flint and we add solco chemicals to our water and our blancets are Reeves.

Normally on a superclean and fresh developing machine we can run max. 100.000 copies, wich should be around 200.000 acording to AGFA. When my machine has produced around 60m2 i can only run 50.000-60.000. Sometimes we already have blinding after 10.000 copies. There was one time already after 3000 copies several plates blinded.
We changed all the blancets, filling under the blancets, ink rollers, moist rollers.... etc etc. But the strange thing is we have it on a 8 year old press and a 9 month old press. We tried Sun ink but did not work. We tried draining all chemicals from the developing machine each morning but also did not work. Our water has been to a lab and there was no bacteria or some other problem in the water.
The major problem is that the moment we told AGFA we had a problem they went into defense mode instantly, they told us it is a mechanical wear of the press. But on a 9 month old press???
They also tell us we are the only company that has problems with the AGFA Lap-V silver plates but i know cases of the same problem in Belgium, Spain and also the Netherlands. And i'm sure there are more companies. Please if you know a company with the same problem or you had (have) the same problem please let me know.

Thanks

Kind regards

Hessel Roskam

Hello everybody,

this is a well known problem with this plate, I just have no idea why Agfa sellers are not familiar with it. Forget everything you know and remember one thing only. Its a FINISHER problem. It depends on how the finisher was stored before it got to you, so you can do shit. There is a very simple solution. Agfa makes a product called Finisher Concentrate, more info about the product in this sheet:
http://www.lacrosselitho.com/library/MSDS/agfarzoul000.pdf

The proccedure is like this, when opening a new 20l finisher, just add about 200ml of this finisher concentrate which comes in 5l bottles and all your problems are gone.
As we had this problem too, changed 2 developing units, new chemistry and the problem still remained we knew that its Agfas fault. As I already said, why the Agfa guys are not familiar with this issue and know shit about their OWN products, sorry, no idea.

So, contact your local Agfa seller and request a 5l, finisher concentrate, agfa id: R42LL.

Have a nice day,
Ciao

AGFA is lying through their teeth on this. The lap v has always had this problem. The same problem occurs with bad developer. Agfa uses toll blenders to manufacture the developer in various parts of the world.
Tell AGFA that you want developer from a different batch number and also the finisher additive from a different batch number. The additive enables the silver to be ink receptive. I have seen this same problem more than once in various facilities.

We too were using the same agfa system as you and had plate binding. After much discussion with agfa, our ink supplier and other suppliers. We upped the developer replenishment in our LP82 ultra no more problems with binding. We got this advice from another LP82 user. We sure wasted alot of time and plates asking the suppliers.

Hi i'm Hessel Roskam and new to this forum. I work at a newspaper printing company in the Netherlands and we have a major problem concerning blinding of the plates.
We have 2 presses, a Goss Universal 70 of 8 years old and a Goss FPS of 9 months old and the problem apears on both presses. We use AGFA Lap-V silver plates with 2 AGFA Polaris XTV imagers and AGFA LP82 developing machines. Our Ink supplier is Flint and we add solco chemicals to our water and our blancets are Reeves.

Normally on a superclean and fresh developing machine we can run max. 100.000 copies, wich should be around 200.000 acording to AGFA. When my machine has produced around 60m2 i can only run 50.000-60.000. Sometimes we already have blinding after 10.000 copies. There was one time already after 3000 copies several plates blinded.
We changed all the blancets, filling under the blancets, ink rollers, moist rollers.... etc etc. But the strange thing is we have it on a 8 year old press and a 9 month old press. We tried Sun ink but did not work. We tried draining all chemicals from the developing machine each morning but also did not work. Our water has been to a lab and there was no bacteria or some other problem in the water.
The major problem is that the moment we told AGFA we had a problem they went into defense mode instantly, they told us it is a mechanical wear of the press. But on a 9 month old press???
They also tell us we are the only company that has problems with the AGFA Lap-V silver plates but i know cases of the same problem in Belgium, Spain and also the Netherlands. And i'm sure there are more companies. Please if you know a company with the same problem or you had (have) the same problem please let me know.

Thanks

Kind regards

Hessel Roskam

Hessel,

My advise will be to stay away from press room for now.

Possible ‘prime causes’ of blinding with Lithostar plus plates are:
1- Contamination of Rinse - and / or Finisher section (in Lithostar processors)
2- Maintenance °, Processor check °°, Plate jams, bearings and Rollers on output of Rinse and Finisher section.
3- Excessive foaming in the wash-off section. This foam transfers to Finisher section/ colour change.
4- LP82 : the sucking of air through some leak(s) in the hoses / connections.
5-Complete maintenance refer to the 10 Golden Rules.
6- squeegee pressure, washing-off property.

The use of Silverlith finisher concentrate (1 + 3) in the processor
instead of the L5300b resolves the issue completely, if the above can't be located or resolved.(Quick solution)

Therefore, I advise you to apply Fresh finisher manually on the plate after the plate is out of the processor and before installing the plate on the print machine. If the problem persist use Silverlith finisher concentrate as a substitute for the L5300b in an LP processor. Your Agfa representative can help you with this.
In the case of using Silverlith finisher concentrate it is best to set the finishing temperature in both the rinse section and the finisher section at 35°C instead of the standard 48°C.

Hope this will help!

Attachments

• Cleaning rules.pdf
    52.9 KB · Views: 214
Last edited:
Simple !

Simple !

Hessel Roskam,

When your plate contract finishes with Agfa --- Change to photo polymer plates !

I cannot believe that someone would use Silver Based Image litho plates for Newspaper Production

Regards, Alois

I cannot believe that someone would use Silver Based Image litho plates for Newspaper Production
Regards, Alois
Winnipeg Sun used (I'm not sure nowadays) 2 Galileos VXT with LP82 in-line with a conveyor and a bender for 3 years, and I was a serviceman on-call 24/7 for them.

Silver Based Image Litho Plates

Silver Based Image Litho Plates

Hello Vald,

Thank you for your comment, but I still standby the comment I made regarding "Silver Halide Image" litho plates

Regards, Alois

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back