Presstek TX-52

HiTech_Monkeyboy

Hi gang,

I'm looking for anyone who is using a presstek TX52 platesetter. The salesman says it's better than sliced bread and more valuable than gold. Any user opinions are welcome, good bad or ugly.

Thanks,

Monkey

Re: Presstek TX-52

Presstek blew it big time releasing the TX-52 two years ago when it was not ready. It was the first device Presstek rolled out after buying ABDick out of bankruptcy. The metal platesetter was not ready and quickly got a bad reputation. Presstek seems to have fixed a lot of the issues, however who wants to buy a problem? Presstek has priced 50 them to sell for less than $50,000 with rip, rip computer, trapping software, Epson proofer with 12 month hardware support warranty and 24 month laser warranty. Do you get the feeling that Presstek is trying to repair the Vector TX-52's reputation with some more installations? Two years ago this configuration was selling for $79,000.

The TX-52 has a lot of promise being the only true process-less metal platesetter out there in the market for the 2up presses (14x20 and under). No chemicals outside of the wash unit which contains only water are needed. It also does not need to be plumbed and since it uses a thermal type plates, it does not need a safe light room.

Yes it sounds like a great deal and a great product. But I'm going to take a wait and see attitude. Presstek has done a lot to damage ABDick once great distribution system and we have stopped purchasing our analog plates and supplies from them because of their pricing has gone through roof and they no longer have a distribution warehouse in California; with the Vector your locked into their consumables. And it seems that platesetters are just an afterthought for Presstek because they want to sell DI's.

I'm tempted but in the end I'm leaning towards a Heidelberg system. They have a great product and over a hundred years as a company. We also have a GTO and a Polar Cutter etc.... Perhaps next year if God allows it.

Re: Presstek TX-52

Presstek blew it big time releasing the TX-52 two years ago when it was not ready. It was the first device Presstek rolled out after buying ABDick out of bankruptcy. The metal platesetter was not ready and quickly got a bad reputation. Presstek seems to have fixed a lot of the issues, however who wants to buy a problem? Presstek has priced 50 them to sell for less than $50,000 with rip, rip computer, trapping software, Epson proofer with 12 month hardware support warranty and 24 month laser warranty. Do you get the feeling that Presstek is trying to repair the Vector TX-52's reputation with some more installations? Two years ago this configuration was selling for $79,000.

The TX-52 has a lot of promise being the only true process-less metal platesetter out there in the market for the 2up presses (14x20 and under). No chemicals outside of the wash unit which contains only water are required. It also does not need to be plumbed and since it uses a thermal type plates, it does not need a safe light room.

Yes it sounds like a great deal and a great product. But I'm going to take a wait and see attitude. Presstek has done a lot to damage ABDick's once great distribution system and we have stopped purchasing our analog plates and supplies from them because of their pricing has gone through roof and they no longer have a distribution warehouse in California; with the Vector your locked into their consumables. And it seems that platesetters are just an afterthought for Presstek because they want to sell DI's.

I'm tempted but in the end I'm leaning towards a Heidelberg system. They have a great product and over a hundred years as a company. We also have a GTO and a Polar Cutter etc.... Perhaps next year if God allows it.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back