Waterless UV printing

jlind

To Whom It May Concern:

There was mention on WTT (as opposed to wtf) that a printer had installed 6 color KBA waterless UV presses as part of a green strategy. What are their options for plates, and who makes the inks. A while back, when I looked into this, I learned that waterless UV inks contained materials that the EPA or some acronym wouldn't allow sold in the US. Is this the first installation? and thus the PR?
John Lind
724-776-4718
Cranberry Township, PA

Re: Waterless UV printing

HI John,

I do not know about the inks but Toray manufactures plates for waterless printing (do not know if they hold up to UV though). Kodak announce a waterless plate named Scorpion but I do not know if it was ever commercialized. Perhaps Toray and Kodak can enlighten us.

Regards,

Mark Tonkovich
Heidelberg USA
Product Manager, CtP & Proofing

Re: Waterless UV printing

John,
I had run UV waterless about 10 yrs ago. The Toray plates work, although I don't see them working thru a CTP. The Toray plates have a film that needs to be removed before the processor. Some of the problems we had with the printing was color density, picking and curing. I don't know what substrate you're printing on, but our problems happened on plastic sheets. After 8 years of struggling with ink and curing we went back to water.

Good Luck,
Gar

We are having problems on the print desities deminishing while running a job.
We have the temperature at 18 degrees centigrade. higher temperature causes us toning on the sheets ( scum).
Can any one advice.
Thanks
Raul

We are having problems on the print desities deminishing while running a job.
We have the temperature at 18 degrees centigrade. higher temperature causes us toning on the sheets ( scum).
Can any one advice.
Thanks
Raul

Raul,

Waterless has fundamentally the same problem with (SID) density control as does conventional offset. With water on conventional offset, the problem is a bit worse but it is basically the same. It is related to a change in the ink feed rate going into the roller train via the ductor.

With temperature variations, the ink feed from the ink foutain roller to the roller train varies and that will result in print density variations.

If your decreasing density is not with your SIDs but with your screens, then that can be another problem.

Toray is the reply for plates, along with Kodak trendsetter they are offering CTP plates. I dont know about the film to be removed before processor! The first installation of a KBA web is expected to be complete later this year in my region, dubai. So will have to wait to comment more on these. As far as web inks are concerned, sun chemicals, Flint, Siegwerk all make waterless inks.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back