new plate/platesetter direction

Re: new plate/platesetter direction

Hi Brian:

A few answers for you:

<snip>
1. Have you heard of Kodak offering a gumming unit for their Direct plate?
<snip>

Yes - but I don't hear much about either application with these plates.

<snip<
2. Has anyone from Fuji ever directly answered your questions about what the gumming unit actually does for the Pro-T plate?
<snip>

No.

<snip>
3. Steering away from the plate subject a bit: I had asked the forum for feedback and opinions on Avalon performance. I haven't had any response or seen any threads on the Avalon. Maybe I need to post that as a subject all by itself. Is it such a new product that not many print shops have one? Do you only focus on plates or do you have any thoughts on this device? Like most people would be, I'm especially interested in productivity. We're hearing that the Avalon is capable of imaging the Azura at a range of 20 - 28 plates/hr depending on configuration.
<snip>

I've personally had several(s) customers install Avalon/Azura/Amigo this year - and for all, it's a great fit and solution. FYI - it's made in Wilmington, MA USA - where I sat for 14 years.

<snip>4. Back to plates: We happen to have some fresh Azura plates in house. First time for us to see, touch and feel the Azura. On a whim, someone licked their finger and rubbed off the green emulsion on a plate right out of the box. That seems kinda scarey. Not that anyone would run an Azura plate under a running faucet before imaging. Would they? We were just a little surprised at that. <snip>

The themo-oleo-phylic-spheres are suspended in a water soluable (SP?) binder - hence it's easy clean out. I recommend cleaning out after you image, not before. Are you in the habit of spilling coffee (etc.) on your plates before you image? If not, no worries.

Re: new plate/platesetter direction

TMax:
Do you think the LH- PJ plate will be around for long while?

Brian

Lindsay Ellis

Lindsay Ellis

We are running the Anthem Pro plates, and because of various problems (no manufacturer support; etching of plates after 3-4K impressions on our Delta Dampened Komori presses, toning on startup issues, et.al.,
we would be very interested in knowing your experiences with alternate plates on your Dimension CTP's.

Hi Lindsay: We phased in the Presstek Aurora plate beginning fall 07. Press preferred the Aurora mainly because of the start-up issues. The Aurora run length is less than the 100,000 rated on the Anthem plate but it worked for our application(s). We could consistently hit 10 - 15,000 impressions. With the Anthem plate we were achieving well over 50,000 impressions when needed. Detecting zones when balancing Aurora plates was a little challenging because the image isn't as distinctly visible as on the Anthem. Our two Dimension 400s were very tired little puppies having given us many hours of service, so I'm confident that was a factor in balancing.

brian

Brian:

Run a "search" for "Santa" as author,
and you'll find several posts by Jon on
Azura. He has also been running the
newer Azura TS.

I hope this helps.

UPDATE - Sorry - I was responding to an older post.

Last edited:
yep - i gave a hefty feedback on my azura too - look me up on a find

no problems at all

cleaning is so easy - the gum unit - and we're B1

ohh the joy - a clean plate, one tub (a third of a tub anyway) of waste gum every 6 weeks or so, no problems in daylight, we ran 130k impressions no problems

been a good investment for us

screen 8000II ctp - slower yeah - no big deal. didnt like fuji - processless WITH a processor? ohh come on. had a major uk fuji man here swore blind they didnt promote pro t with a processor - then again he didnt know that i knew personally the guy who'd JUST installed the processor at the plant.....

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back