CTP Machine Problem....

Chazman

We are currently running a Fuji Luxel VX-9600 CTP machine and our pressmen (Heidelberg 2 colour - used mainly for perfecting black text) are complaining that the images are not centered on the plates!!!! We are bringing in a service guy but He has checked this out before and claimed he couldn't find anything wrong. Sometimes the plates are out as much as a half inch on backup and other times it is slight and the press guys can make it work.

We have been resolved to measuiring every plate. The plates go to the CTP from a RAMPAGE Rip system. Apparently there was a time when the press guys would just hang the plates and go.

Anyone else seen this before? Any kind of help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Chazman

Re: CTP Machine Problem....

What are you using to do the imposition? Preps?

If it is Preps, I have seen where if you don't have certain marks on the form, the perfecting won't back up.

Has the punch registration system changed?

Not being familiar with your set-up,
does the image edge-register in the
engine, but you off-line center-punch?

Just a thought.

We are using Preps. Which marks are you speaking of?
We ran for quite a while where things went very smoothly.

Thanks

Chazman

It is the same punch registration. We manually punch all plates after processing. There normally isn't a problem.

We can take a ruler and measure our side guides from the edge of the plate and they are different from one plate to the next. Should the image not be perfectly centered? (Centered is checked off in Rampage at the plotting queue.)

thanks

Chazman

When you are setting up the initial signature if you change the mark size to zero the perfecting forms won't back up.
I think it's for the marks that appear on the center of the sheet at the gripper and tail edge of the layout.
If you have them set to at least .125" it should back up on press.
It's been a couple of months since I have set up a template in Preps, so I can't be more specific. I just remember getting some layouts that needed to perfect from another shop and they didn't have those marks and the forms didn't back up. The press room was able to roll the cylinders on that press at least, but we still had to find the problem.

I have the same platesetter and Rampage and have only experienced those issues when something was screwed up from preps.
I assume you loaded the Rampage profile when starting preps. All the positioning is done by preps so the first thing I would check to isolate the issue is look at you monitor proof and measure where the side guides are located on the monitor proof. If they are exactly the same
then check the trim marks at the gripper if they match between the front and the back they should image just fine provided your template had the same margins at the gripper and tail of the sheet. if they are off check the template to see if its a perfecting template or a front and back that has been manually numbered, I know it sounds like a no brainer but you would be suprised. The only other time I saw this I removed the screener board from the shooter and re-seated it and it took care of the issue. Sounds weird but it worked.

it sounds like you are plotting from the same rip data but getting different results, is that so? if so that rules out Preps.

Is your printing machine set to center in your imager?

Hi I am field Fuji guy. The Saber has an edge detect and registers from the edge (right side).

"The only other time I saw this I removed the screener board from the shooter and re-seated it and it took care of the issue. Sounds weird but it worked."

How do we go about doig this, I'd like to give it a try next time we have a plate go out of whack...

Some days are better than others, we can have no problems for a few days and than a bunch....and it's not the whole job, it's random forms within a job!

We have been getting the edge detect error and have been told maybe it's cause of the coating on the plates!

We haven't had a problem backing up jobs from preps in the past, they have worked on the proofer and on the plates.

Thanks to everyone getting in on this. I want to exhaust all options and have things narrowed down before I expend a bunch of our service guy's tme. We recently went through a spell of a having a guy work the machine that was not keeping up on any of the maintenance. So there are a ton of issues here and sorting through them has been tough.

Chazman

Its a relatively easy project. First shut down the box and unplug it. Crack open the box and ground yourself to the metal frame of the computer to prevent any static discharge
to the board. You will be removing the board that the cable from the Saber is attached to. Unplug the cable that comes from the Saber at the computer, remove the couple of hold down screws that keep the board from moving and slowly remove the board. You may have to rock it a little because if it has never been removed before they tend to be a little stubborn.
Reseat the board and reconnect the cabling and fire it back up. Monitor your issue and see if it crops up again. As I said earlier if all the measurements on you monitor proofs are where they
are supposed to be then its probably the board.

hi
In this ctp there is edge detect system (with laser) .Fuji (ffei) service can setup it again (adjusting gain) or if can not need to change edge detect laser with new one.we see this problem many times but we set up it always.for more info you can contact with ffei (ffei.co.uk)
regards

I'm not a Fuji tech., but am aware that the Fuji internal drum units use an edge-detect laser, as discussed above. If the problem is intermittent, as has been implied, then maybe you're looking at a lens clean on the detection laser, or similar sort of problem. Not sure whether they use a mirror system on the detection laser, in which case could be mirror as well. In either case, you'd need to consult them before you try cleaning anything.
have you got a manual? The "handbook" on our V6 has a diagram and description on cleaning the actual imaging mirror. just a thought. Shall have a look and see if the edge-detection laser rates a mention. It's pretty much a smaller sibling of the 9600 as far as I'm aware.

Hi,
This platesetter is OEM from Screen,that is the mechanical finding edge.The center action is automatic.You can have some tests in the diagnostic mode.If the result is same,You must ask the FUJI's engineer to calibrate the machanic equipments.If the issue is disappear,The software testing will is your first step.
Hoping this suggestion can help you.
Noregret

Hello,

Be careful, the VX-9600 is not an OEM Screen machine, it was a violet laser Fuji manufactured CtP, I beleive they were made in the U.K. It may be different then the Screen design.
Regards,

Mark Tonkovich
Heidelberg USA
Product Manager, CtP and Proofing

Hi All,
Sorry,I made a mistake.I had a confusion to VX9600.
Mark Tonkovich ,thank you.
Your help was really appreciated.

Noregret

Hi wucheng,

In todays world, it is difficult to keep up with all the different models.

Regards,

Mark Tonkovich
Heidelberg USA

We have 2 cobalt 4 (don't laugh) machines were I work, we had the same problems but it wasn't when perfecting it was one plate to next out of the same set it turned out to be the spinner/mirror. I don't know if this will help or not but might be worth a shot!!!

Well it's been an interesting ride since I last posted.

We have had vacuum problems (fixed by fuji), streaking problems on our plates (causing havoc on densities in our midtone screens on plates) - and our centering problem just cropped up today...I have checked preps - everything seems ok - I have checked rampage everything is centered properly, our fuji tech has ordered us a new spinner - I hope this works cause platemaking has been a real bear!!!

Chazman

P.S. thanks for all the suggestions!!!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back